2wd vs 4wd ATV's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I grew up riding 2 and 3-wheelers so a 4wd ATV is foreign concept to me. My current older 4-wheelers are all 2wd and light enough to get unstuck but I'm wanting something larger.

So I need to decide if I need 4wd or not due to the extra cost. I can tell you that right now 99% of use would not require 4wd, but that could change in the future so I don't want to make a mistake if all I need is a larger 2wd.

ALSO, is it really true that if you buy a used ATV from someone that it must have a title? Is it legal for them to sell a used ATV if they don't have one?

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought the smallest 4X4 4 wheeler made. I started with a 4X4 with a straight rear axle but upgraded to one with an independent rear suspension. Where I deer hunt, 4X4 is a must-have for crossing creeks and weaving through trails.

People are spending tens of thousands on side by sides and huge 4 wheelers. I don't get it, if I wanted something that big or comfy, I'd by a 4 wheeler called a JEEP.

YMMV

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought the smallest 4X4 4 wheeler made. I started with a 4X4 with a straight rear axle but upgraded to one with an independent rear suspension. Where I deer hunt, 4X4 is a must-have for crossing creeks and weaving through trails.

People are spending tens of thousands on side by sides and huge 4 wheelers. I don't get it, if I wanted something that big or comfy, I'd by a 4 wheeler called a JEEP.

YMMV
Yeah good point, I think for my purposes a 2wd and maybe a winch is more cost effective...BUT if buying new, it is hard to not get what you "might" need.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a 2011 Yamaha Grizzly 550 4x4 - kind of midsize now. 400 was a little small and didn't have a need for the 700. it has worked great. One thing I may never go without is Electronic Power Steering. I found a great deal on mine used and it had the EPS. I wouldn't have required it when looking. But, I think it's what I like the most about my ATV! A great option especially if you're going in/out of trees.

To your question about the title - it depends on the age of the ATV. I sold my Dad's and it was old enough not to require one. Let me find the classifieds ad on here for the details. It's on the DMV website too.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Section 1113, Section 5.B “For all-terrain vehicles or motorcycles used exclusively off roads or highways purchased prior to July 1, 2005, registration, as otherwise required by Section 1115 of Title 47 of the Oklahoma Statutes, shall not be required, but shall be allowed at the option of the owner of the all-terrain vehicle or motorcycle used exclusively off roads or highways.”

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
My wife can no longer hike the trails like we used to so I have been looking at SxS's.... Prices are stupid. So now I am looking at 3 or 4 wheelers . Seems the prices are coming down on these do to the side SxS craze.... Winches are cheap for these things so will not turn my nose up at a 2 wheel drive.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I‘ve had both 2 and 4wd 4 wheelers, and I can get by with a 2 wd. The best 4 wheeler I’ve ever had was a 2004 Yamaha Big Bear 400 2wd, and I put just 9953 miles on it before the main shaft broke in the transmission. If I were buying a new one today, I’d definitely buy a 4wd, and the biggest I’d buy is a 500cc. In my opinion, that’s plenty big, and people buying 800+cc units are just wanting to get into pecker measuring contests with their buddies.

My youngest son had a 2003 Yamaha Beartracker 250 2wd, and though it didn’t have an hourmeter or odometer, I estimate it had easily over 10k miles on it before the main shaft broke in its transmission.

Unless I know the owner, I’d be hesitant to buy a used ATV or UTV, but last fall I bought a really clean 2001 Honda Foreman 450 that’s rapidly turned into my new favorite 4 wheeler.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Section 1113, Section 5.B “For all-terrain vehicles or motorcycles used exclusively off roads or highways purchased prior to July 1, 2005, registration, as otherwise required by Section 1115 of Title 47 of the Oklahoma Statutes, shall not be required, but shall be allowed at the option of the owner of the all-terrain vehicle or motorcycle used exclusively off roads or highways.”
So how do you read that?

Does it mean that if you bought one new in 2004 you are good but if you want to sell it now you need to register it?

I called a tag agent today and they were not much help but they "seemed" to indicate that if you buy ANY used ATV no matter how old, you need to bring the VIN into the tag agency and register for a title with the state. But so far no answer is clear to me.

If I learn I can buy a used ATV older than 2005 without needing to then go create a new title after the sale then I would probably limit my shopping to older units. BUT if ANY used ATV I buy will require to be taken to tag agency then I may as well get something newer...can anyone clarify this further?

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I‘ve had both 2 and 4wd 4 wheelers, and I can get by with a 2 wd. The best 4 wheeler I’ve ever had was a 2004 Yamaha Big Bear 400 2wd, and I put just 9953 miles on it before the main shaft broke in the transmission. If I were buying a new one today, I’d definitely buy a 4wd, and the biggest I’d buy is a 500cc. In my opinion, that’s plenty big, and people buying 800+cc units are just wanting to get into pecker measuring contests with their buddies.

My youngest son had a 2003 Yamaha Beartracker 250 2wd, and though it didn’t have an hourmeter or odometer, I estimate it had easily over 10k miles on it before the main shaft broke in its transmission.

Unless I know the owner, I’d be hesitant to buy a used ATV or UTV, but last fall I bought a really clean 2001 Honda Foreman 450 that’s rapidly turned into my new favorite 4 wheeler.
Yeah that Honda about what I wanted...didn't you get that one here?

As for the larger ones, I agree...why get a SxS sized motor in a 4-wheeler? If you need that much power you may as well pony up and get what you really need and have a dump bed, etc.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2wd turns easier and you can whip it around more. 4wd obviously gets you more places but will want to plow corners if you turn sharp on loose stuff.

I have a pair of Foreman 450 ES...one full time 4x4 and one selectable. The selectable, in 2wd, goes about 5mph faster on the top end.

For whatever reason, I like the selectable for most of the reasons above but always ride the full time 4x4...

450 gets me everywhere I need to go but sometimes when going miles and miles on gravel roads, more top end would be nice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom