Should I buy a new truck?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a few trucks but my first truck I sold, I always wanted it back.
It was a basket case no brake lines No windows broken main leaf spring and no electrical wires in it.
I got that truck back 10 years later and drive it today.

I guess I was like @1shott with the thinking of I was a want kind of guy.
I wanted my original truck back.
It took me 3 months to get that truck in the shape I wanted and running and driving reliably.

I still have it and I do not need any other truck.
1947 Dodge.

NOT FOR SALE.

:)

Lee Beaittie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is what I see.
Buy one now : Got money not an issue at all.

Drive very little : You can do that but any bugs that this vehicle has may not show up and when you begin to get miles on it which leads to the next deal.

Then in 5 years I have a low miles replacement: Yep with low miles and now you are putting miles on it and issues show up. OH CRAP! There is not any warranty left on this low miles Newer truck.

Reach deep into your pocket for repairs.

Now you could have saved all those truck payments and all that insurance payments and kept the older truck running just fine and probably have money left over.

If I am buying a vehicle to drive very little it will be a collector that will not drop in value.

VVT , Camshaft Phasers will not last so stuff like that in a vehicle in my yard i do not buy.

I need something that goes 300,000 miles without any major issues.
I agree with Swampratt. I had planned on keeping my 08 Duramax it had 230k on it, but my grandson ended up totaling it, no fault of his own. With that being said, IF you are going to have to finance another, just put that payment in savings, if and until big repairs are needed. The bank loan pymt has to be paid EVERY month, the savings installment doesn't.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I think it might happen eventually, but not in anywhere close to the timeframes some are projecting, and trucks are almost certainly going to be the last segment where the conversion happens. It's certainly not close enough for it to be a factor in purchasing decisions over the next 5-10 years.
I see the US always being 20-30+ years behind whatever California initiates, given the regime in California stays the same.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been thinking about selling my 13 Ram with the 5.7 liter engine It has 62000 miles Tuneups run 2 grand 😢😢
What makes you think you’re needing a tune up on a 62k mile truck?

I used to trade trucks when they hit 130-140k miles and then watch someone else drive them for years with seemingly no problem, so I’ve decided to drive my 2011 F250 until it costs more to repair it than to replace it. I’m at 214k now and still running strong.

Last edited:

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sold my last Dodge Diesel few months ago a 2006 Mega Cab 112k miles, bought diesel Motorhome. Started using a low mileage Tundra for a run around truck. 10 Dodge 3/4 tons, 4 Dodge 1 tons all diesel. One 98.5 that was at 975 HP Dyno stopped reading at a 1000 on torque. I had a few Ford Diesels before the Cummins came in the picture.

Latest posts

Top Bottom