Looking to learn about duck hunting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What does one need to get started duck hunting? Any good public land in NE OK? I assume shotgun, waders, decoys, camo?

Also, does anybody hunt from a canoe/kayak? I found one that looked perfect (the SportsPal canoe) but there are no local distributors and shipping adds $300. I can justify a canoe/kayak a lot easier than a jon boat or such.

I have enough dogs, but none that will retrieve, they would just eat it and bring me the feathers, so that's out.

Any tips relating to duck hunting for the first time would be great.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What does one need to get started duck hunting? Any good public land in NE OK? I assume shotgun, waders, decoys, camo?

Also, does anybody hunt from a canoe/kayak? I found one that looked perfect (the SportsPal canoe) but there are no local distributors and shipping adds $300. I can justify a canoe/kayak a lot easier than a jon boat or such.

I have enough dogs, but none that will retrieve, they would just eat it and bring me the feathers, so that's out.

Any tips relating to duck hunting for the first time would be great.

I would not get close to a canoe as you learn the sport. Understand that the best ducky days on record are when there is a Norther blowing at 30mph, the temp is around 14 degrees and there is a layer of freezing fog hovering over water cold enough to killy you in a matter of minutes. Okie4570, dalyup and I have done some pretty risky things over the last few years for the sake of saving dogs, retrieving birds, etc. however these were done with each other nearby and we knew the water depth and other facts before we pulled the stunts off. Teal hunting in sept out of a canoe would be a harmless measure but one that isn't needed.

Usually some of the best hunting one can experience is literally in inches of water. Duck hunting in its prime is not for the faint of heart. Fair weather hunters need not apply . It can be a very trying, laborous and in some cases somewhat dangerous sport, however, in the opinion of some of us- well worth it.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The cold weather/water is one of the things that attracts me to duck hunting. I'm from the north and am definitely not bothered by any temps above 0. Used to be a family tradition to break the ice on the lake and jump in. Not that I don't have a very healthy respect for the dangers of hypothermia and definitely don't want to test my luck. I just mean to say I'm definitely not a fair weather person. I will probably just use a canoe yo get to a good spot and retrieve birds for now and waders for hunting.

The German

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I uses a sit on top Kayak, but mainly for retrieval and getting deocys in soft bottom ponds/lakes. Helps get to some better spots too, but you better become familiar with it and the load.

Dont forget duck stamps and gun plugs.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I definitely will not forget plugs or stamps! I went dove hunting recently so guns already plugged (except the O/U of course).

The canoe I'm thinking of getting is this one: http://www.meyersboat.com/sportspal/
The reviews I've seen for it indicate you can sit on the side and it won't tip. I'm not "new" to canoeing either, my family has a summer camp on a lake in New England and we have canoes/kayaks we use all summer and often well into the fall/winter (until the lake freezes).

Below is my shopping list, please let me know if I'm missing anything or over-buying:

1 Pair neoprene waders with a belt to go around the chest (Probably Cabelas as I have a coupon)
1-2 dozen decoys
Maybe a new camo jacket (probably a Day One ASAT parka or jacket)
a PFD (if I'm going to wade, I want a pouch PFD around my waist)
Tungsten-Matrix 12ga shells
Duck tags
Possibly canoe (I have been thinking about one anyway for a long time for fishing)
Maybe some burlap to make an easy blind out of
Bunch of floats to keep all expensive stuff attached to in case of tip over.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you were closer, I'd take you with me. The Sarge, by duck commander, is an easy to blow call and a good learning call. Also, get one of the black plastic duck whistles and watch YouTube for the wigeon, pintail, mallard drake sounds. Good luck!

Latest posts

Top Bottom