Looking to learn about duck hunting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalyup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't worry you'll get them, Okie4570, justin_h635, and myself were scouting a place this evening, and we got caught standing at the waters edge with no shotguns, watching them flyover. Well, okie and myself were at the waters edge, and justin was in his waders wandering around checking depths and bottom consitency.

Dalyup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
img.tapatalk.com_d_13_11_11_sujehada.jpg

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My buddy and I got nothing. I'm feeling a bit discouraged. I did at least pick a good spot in that when we got there (all kinds of fluke problems delayed us until 8am) we stumbled onto a flock of about 200 (ducks, but couldnt identify in time so didnt shoot) when we rounded the corner to where I had picked. They all spooked and left. Then as we were setting decoys I started playing with call since nothing was around to scare and all of a sudden they flew over our heads... I like to think I called them, but I am guessing coincidence. We were chest deep with no shotguns. Still didn't*identify. After that, one duck 3 hours later 100 or so yards away and a lot of pelicans, and a buck swimming. I am going to try again next weekend, and be there well before sun-up. Any chance there will still be birds? I really want to get SOME my first season.

Don't get discouraged. Since zone 2 opened last week weekend I've seen a grand total of 9 birds hit the water and I've been out 4 times. Between myself and the guys I hunt with, 9 birds are usually in the bag within the first 5 minutes of LST. Things are tough right now. With all the rain we got in the eastern half of the state this year, the birds are spread pretty thin.

There are some people having success, but it's not the norm. I've spoken with several hardcore waterfowlers I've gotten to know over the years from all across the state, and for the majority of them it has been a struggle as well.

If you have a spot that is holding 200 birds right now, chances are it will be good for most of the season as long as you don't hunt it too much. Get in there and get set up before first light and you should have some success. If you want any tips with decoy placement, cover etc with the type of water you're hunting, feel free to PM me. Good luck!

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went out yesterday and we got 4 birds in 3 hours. Lots and lots of high flyers yesterday. Stick with it, you will get it. My cousin and I don't know squat and still managed to bag a few.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heading out again early tomorrow morning. Are the ducks likely to move more into protected areas because of the wind/showers or will they still be in more open areas?

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I went this past Saturday and got out there at first light (canoed in the dark and the storm). Saw a total of 5 ducks and got 0. Shot at one and then realized it was out of range (gotta get used to the short range). Was an all around disappointing day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom