Looking to learn about duck hunting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Talked to a waterfowler in Minnesota. Said ducks and geese are still in Canada. Said that as of Tuesday, they hadn't even had a freeze yet (although I am pretty sure it got cold this week). Regardless, once again, why do we have an early duck season so early? Why not push both early and late back a week or two?

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, looks like if I don't make opening day I won't be missing much. Was trying for opening day because I figured they'd be the least wary of the season... and I need all the help I can get. I did pick up about 18 decoys (will add more likely), some waders, and a jacket. Still need to get a basic call and practice with it. Hopefully I'll learn more as I go along. The first time I expect won't even fire my shotgun, more of a test run. I'm hoping we got a REAL winter this year, I'm very much looking forward to sitting out there on a frigid weekend, that's my preferred weather. I did pick up a canoe as well (the most stable canoe on the market from what I've found), mostly to get to hard to reach spots.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Eastern side of the state had more birds than we did last year. Porter and some of the other guys were in birds all year last year it seems like. Don't let our sightings and reports keep you from going. It's amazing what 200 miles difference can make in bird sightings.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Got the waders I ordered today... way too tall for me. Anyone have recommendations for affordable waders that fit those of us in the 5'8" range?

Better to tall than too short, lol. Going to have to retire my Itasca's after this year, but they fit well and got 6 years out of them. Only wore them once last year though I think. I'm the same height, inch taller at most.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been wearing LaCrosse brush tough the past few seasons after moving on from Redhead bone dry. I'm right at 5'8" as well. I hunt hard and often making a durable pair of waders essential. They have performed very well so far.

Latest posts

Top Bottom