Looking to learn about duck hunting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4Life

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always used the cheap Mud-Dog or Bass pro brand waders. $100+, 3 or 3.5mm. they always last just as long as my buddies expensive lacross waders. The key is a right right. Too baggy in the crotch and they will have excessive wear and start to leak quickly.

As far as durability, I hunt 2- to 3- days a week every week, mine don't get babied and they hold up just fine for me. Plus hole are imminent, I'd rather ruin a pair of $100 waders on a fence then $250.
Shoe Goo will be your friend to patch small holes.

Also, carry your waders inside the truck, minivan, Miata or whatever you drive. Nothing worse than putting on cold waders.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ordered the Cabelas 5mm Neostretch Waders in stout as they had the right inseam for me. We'll see, more than I wanted to spend since I am brand new to this and have no idea if it will be something I enjoy or not. Seems like it will.

On a reverse train of thought (i.e, spending more money) is 6 magnums and 12 regular decoys, plus a moving wing decoy, enough for hunting areas off a river (no idea if where I'm looking is any good, but only one way to find out), or should I order another dozen?

Last edited:

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ordered the Cabelas 5mm Neostretch Waders in stout as they had the right inseam for me. We'll see, more than I wanted to spend since I am brand new to this and have no idea if it will be something I enjoy or not. Seems like it will.

On a reverse train of thought (i.e, spending more money) is 6 magnums and 12 regular decoys, plus a moving wing decoy, enough for hunting areas off a river (no idea if where I'm looking is any good, but only one way to find out), or should I order another dozen?

If it's an area that the birds are using on a regular basis, that should be plenty. If you're trying to get bird's attention and pull them away from their regular routine then I would add some more. Motion is your friend and that doesn't necessarily mean spinning wing decoys.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My buddy and I got nothing. I'm feeling a bit discouraged. I did at least pick a good spot in that when we got there (all kinds of fluke problems delayed us until 8am) we stumbled onto a flock of about 200 (ducks, but couldnt identify in time so didnt shoot) when we rounded the corner to where I had picked. They all spooked and left. Then as we were setting decoys I started playing with call since nothing was around to scare and all of a sudden they flew over our heads... I like to think I called them, but I am guessing coincidence. We were chest deep with no shotguns. Still didn't*identify. After that, one duck 3 hours later 100 or so yards away and a lot of pelicans, and a buck swimming. I am going to try again next weekend, and be there well before sun-up. Any chance there will still be birds? I really want to get SOME my first season.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't get discouraged. That's a part of hunting. At least you saw a ton of ducks. I've had several hunts where I didn't see a duck. The first season is iffy. Once it gets cold, there's less people and more ducks. On public water, try a mid-week hunt as you'll have the place almost to yourself.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure about your side of the state, it's been a crap shoot for us over here the last couple of years. First couple of weeks of the first split we had a few birds. Second half of the split, not much around. If you saw that many this morning, I'd bet you'll still see some. Huge front and weather change coming in a couple of days...we shall see what it brings.:)

Latest posts

Top Bottom