Looking to learn about duck hunting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look into the NuCanoe sit on top kayak. It can be set up for 1 or 2 people. And can easily be set up for duck hunting.

Thanks, it's actually been a toss-up for me between the SportsPal and the NuCanoe. I like the Nucanoe and the fact that it has a blind (albeit currently between versions), but I like the enclosure of the Sportspal as well.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another question: If I were to use duck hunting as an excuse to buy a new shotgun, is camo really that important? I really like wood/blued over camo, and I'd use the shotgun for skeet/upland birds as well and feel wood is more appropriate. That being said, the camo version of the gun I like is very nice as well.

brennan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, it's actually been a toss-up for me between the SportsPal and the NuCanoe. I like the Nucanoe and the fact that it has a blind (albeit currently between versions), but I like the enclosure of the Sportspal as well.

There is a NuCanoe dealer in Tulsa and he will do free demos if you want to try one out.

Bassman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another question: If I were to use duck hunting as an excuse to buy a new shotgun, is camo really that important? I really like wood/blued over camo, and I'd use the shotgun for skeet/upland birds as well and feel wood is more appropriate. That being said, the camo version of the gun I like is very nice as well.

Bare in mind that waterfowl hunting is not a clean sport. The camo versions and black synthetic are more appropriate for the conditions you will be hunting in. Plus, any excuse to buy a new shotgun is a good excuse.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Bare in mind that waterfowl hunting is not a clean sport. The camo versions and black synthetic are more appropriate for the conditions you will be hunting in. Plus, any excuse to buy a new shotgun is a good excuse.

This ^^^^^. Most likely after a couple of hunts, the wood/blue will have imperfections. My camo O/U after a dozen years of waterfowl, cranes, and turkeys still looks camo, but it's chipped, scratched, pock marked, dented, scraped and missing the front bead. If you're hunting sandy river banks, search the shotgun reviews well and see what holds up well in those conditions with the semi-autos, or just go with a pump or O/U. Have fun!

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to find someone that is versed in waterfowl hunting and see if you can tag along for a few hunts. Unfortunately, it's not all fun and games like Duck Dynasty makes it out to be.

A few more tips I've picked up over the years:

1. Scout, scout, scout. Hunt where the ducks want to be, not where you want the ducks to be.

2. Call less. Don't be that guy hitting the highball at every high flying mallard. Learn to do a basic quack and you'll be good. If you're where the birds want to be and you get set up right, many times calling isn't even necessary.

3. Learn to identify birds on the wing. There are tons of free publications out there that can help with this. Nothing pisses me off more than when guys shoot ducks and then figure out what they are after they hit the water.

4. Don't be afraid to spend money for good gear the first time. I highly suggest a warm pair of high quality waders. The cheap ones will get holes and leak and you'll freeze your ass off.

5. Pattern your gun with different loads to figure out what works best for you. You mentioned tungsten shot. That's good stuff, but there is no need to spend that kind of coin on a good duck load.

Those are just a few things that come to mind at the moment. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a little more advice.

Never go into waters that your boat, and boating skills won't allow.

In the early 80's a best friend that I'd hunted with for years wanted to duck hunt on Kaw like we had many times before. I couldn't go so he invited two other guys. They set out before daylight with a dog, decoys, guns, and gear in a 14' flat bottom boat.

By noon the wind was howling. Jimmy's dad called me about 6pm and asked if I'd seen him. A buddy and I went to the ramp and saw his trailer empty. Drove 10 miles to a phone and called the COE Lake rangers, and they in turn called the OHP and ODW. We took a boat out there. Around 2 am we found our friend face down in the water with his life jacket on, but unzipped. The other two guys took over a month to surface with no life jackets on.

It was tough going to Jimmy's dad and telling him his son died.

Kaw Lake has had 7 duck hunters drown on the lake over the years. Hunt safe.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it usually crowded on public lands for duck like it is for deer? I imagine a lot of people are taking it up thanks to Duck Dynasty (never seen an episode by the way). Is it easy enough to find a spot to hunt without someone standing on either shoulder?

Latest posts

Top Bottom