Looking to learn about duck hunting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've heard from two guys that mentioned that the number of people who showed up for duck blind drawings on the lakes, had 3-4 times the usual crowd.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I want to try and get out there opening weekend. I've looked at the WMA maps quite a bit (though I'm not really sure what to look for besides water :) ), and will get the appropriate stamps. How do you all set up, what time do you get there, how do you "claim" an area, etc.? The protocol is what I am most confused by, less so than the actual "hunting". I've read A LOT about movement discipline, decoys, etc.. I may have a friend to go with (I may not, he's undecided), but he's never duck hunted before either, so not exactly a tutor.

Last edited:

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I want to try and get out there opening weekend. I've looked at the WMA maps quite a bit (though I'm not really sure what to look for besides water :) ), Find food and you will find ducks. and will get the appropriate stamps. How do you all set up, what time do you get there, Public land, opening day; there will more than likely be people camping the night before how do you "claim" an area, etc.? Get there first, throw out some dekes and keep a light on The protocol is what I am most confused by, less so than the actual "hunting". I've read A LOT about movement discipline, decoys, etc.. I may have a friend to go with (I may not, he's undecided), but he's never duck hunted before either, so not exactly a tutor.

Good luck! It's easy to get addicted.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I think I want to try and get out there opening weekend. I've looked at the WMA maps quite a bit (though I'm not really sure what to look for besides water :) ), and will get the appropriate stamps. How do you all set up, what time do you get there, how do you "claim" an area, etc.? The protocol is what I am most confused by, less so than the actual "hunting". I've read A LOT about movement discipline, decoys, etc.. I may have a friend to go with (I may not, he's undecided), but he's never duck hunted before either, so not exactly a tutor.

Shooting time is half hour before sunrise, wind at your back, use natural cover to your advantage(layout blind makes this easier), never hunted them on a lake so I can't comment on that one, ponds.........a dozen or so decoys, splitting them with a landing area in the middle. River hunting, two-four dozen is what we always put out. Field hunting........you can't have too many decoys.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I work at Sooner Lake where there are lots of ducks....not seeing them either. Too warm for them to migrate this far south possibly?

That cold front last week gave us a good push of early season migrators. They've had a few days to spread out, but there are some limits to be killed out there if you find the right spot.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I live 1/2 mile from the Arkansas River on a hill top, and have not seen a duck. During migration, we see them daily.

Not to say they have moved their migration route. Its happened in the past.

Latest posts

Top Bottom