Low cost 3-D metal printer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it's awesome. And while it may still be "a long way off", that quantifier is up to interpretation. Some people think that means 5-10 years, others wouldn't expect it in less than 50.

But let's think about how much things have changed in 50 years, hmm? Given the exponential nature of improvements in technology, I believe it could be closer than many think.

Notable achievements in science in 1963:

First liver transplant.
First lung transplant.
First kidney transplant from a living, brain-dead donor.
Geneticist J. B. S. Haldane coins the word "clone".
The Arecibo Observatory, with the world's largest single-dish radio telescope, officially opens in Arecibo, Puerto Rico.

Lava lamp invented.
1st episode of Doctor Who.

I dunno why I posted all that... I guess I'm just bored. Seemed itneresting at the time, now it seems kinda... I dunno... pointless.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it's awesome. And while it may still be "a long way off", that quantifier is up to interpretation. Some people think that means 5-10 years, others wouldn't expect it in less than 50.

But let's think about how much things have changed in 50 years, hmm? Given the exponential nature of improvements in technology, I believe it could be closer than many think.

Notable achievements in science in 1963:

First liver transplant.
First lung transplant.
First kidney transplant from a living, brain-dead donor.
Geneticist J. B. S. Haldane coins the word "clone".
The Arecibo Observatory, with the world's largest single-dish radio telescope, officially opens in Arecibo, Puerto Rico.

Lava lamp invented.
1st episode of Doctor Who.

I dunno why I posted all that... I guess I'm just bored. Seemed itneresting at the time, now it seems kinda... I dunno... pointless.

Look how cell phones went from the Bag Phone and phone calls were only feature. Now we basically have a computer, camera and phone device in a package as small as the key pad on one of those bag phones.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Give it 10 years and we'll all have home units. This tech. is still new, but advancing fast.

New is a realitive term. 3-D printing has been around for 20 years or longer.

The prototype for the intake on the V-10 that dodge used in the viper was a 3-d printed component. It was a uv cured plastic. That technology used a laser to solidify a UV sensitive polymer. The parts would last long enough for them to get flow data and do dyno runs. They would tweak the model print another and try again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom