Lube on sliding components

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
mobil one for lube, remoil as a spraydown, corrosion protectant.

This. I only use Rem oil as a quick application if I've handled a gun and don't have time to thoroughly break it down.

I apply a moly grease on the rails on my 1911 and Sig.

Given the cost vs performance of Mobil1 (free, I use the drippings from the bottles when I change oil in my cars), I haven't seen fit to use any of the exotic lubes.

heh heh... exotic lubes... LOL!

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was taught to grease parts that slide ....

I was taught the same thing. If it slides, great it. If it rotates on pin, oil it. if it does neither, remoil it.

I use gun butter mainly. Good stuff. I've also used motor oil off the end of a dip stick from a vehicle in a tight spot. Bearing packing grease is good. Mollys and exotics have no place in my arsenal until someone can prove that, doing my type of shooting, I will get better performance.

So far, I've had no premature wear, not failures due to galling etc.

Oh, and graphite when I need a dry lube.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This. I only use Rem oil as a quick application if I've handled a gun and don't have time to thoroughly break it down.

I apply a moly grease on the rails on my 1911 and Sig.

Given the cost vs performance of Mobil1 (free, I use the drippings from the bottles when I change oil in my cars), I haven't seen fit to use any of the exotic lubes.

heh heh... exotic lubes... LOL!

Ditto, except I use AeroShell 30/50 drippings. Hey, if it is good enough to prevent corrosion to keep keep my fan blowing in my plane engine between the times I fly, it's good enough to keep my gun going on my belt between the times I shoot. Still working on my first "empty" container, little goes a long way. Never had a problem in low or high temps. I had access to an old Allergy syringe that I knocked the point off with a sandpaper swipe. Highly recommend something like this. Lets me put a very little exactly only where I want it. Have an old, 20 or so year old can of Isky special molly lube grease for racing camshaft start up lube, now they sell it in a can at the auto parts store to everyone, Molylube, same application method with a syringe which is even better to work with, I can draw very fine line down the slide area, sometimes do not even wipe. So far, this combination seems tougher than I am, I can't shoot enough to show any wear or remove the bluing. If you try to get too hi-tech, you can burn your brain.

My thoughts, Oil is wet, grease is slick, but use common sense. Baby oil or bacon grease might not work, but why overkill with $55/oz stuff. I own a Colt 380 auto that has been around 100yrs, trying to make it look like normal. I have close to 1000 rounds through it in the past 2 years, wonder what was used on it from 1912 till now? Bet is was not Texaco Havoline.

Bottom line, use a reasonably good oil, use a reasonably good grease, and most likely your gun will last as long as you do. If you shoot 2000 rounds a wk, look at the cost of high dollar gun grease vs trashing your pistol and buying an new one, might be cheaper in the long run.

The past two used automobiles I purchased I got very cheap. Drained the synthetic oil, put in regular oil, one went from 800 mile/qt to 3000/qt. Ever heard the thing about "there is no substitute for the real thing"

Just my opinion.

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't discount grease in dusty dirty conditions, do your research.

Grease - Slide GLide, WeaponShield, Frog Lube? Mobil1 or Valvoline or Aeroshell

Oils - WeaponShield, AmsOil original, Mobil1, Militec-1 (no so hot for corrosion etc.....)

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This is an interesting thread. I mostly use general purpose oil (as in, 3 in 1 oil) on my semiauto handguns. But then again, I don't shoot them much.

My brand new Colt 1911 which I purchased in 1976 has around 3,000 rounds through it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom