LWRC IC SPR 16 in barrel vs BCM Jack Carbine 14.7 inch?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own an LWRC and a BCM. I think the added weight of the piston in a 16" barrel is unnecessary. To be honest, it's unnecessary altogether. I bought mine in 10.5" when DI was hard to get to function in the DI platform. I would go with the BCM and not look back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agreed. Once you get used to the 14.7 or shorter and its benefits in the cqb realm, and just handling/weight etc. They become the favorite. Naturally 12.5 would be the ideal.......IMO

The BCM being DI et al, not much proprietary so another benefit.

Even Still the BCM would be changed via : longer hand guard in the 12-13" for monkey arms, ACS-L stock, MIAD grip.

In Contrast - The LWRC SPR is a nice looking piece of machinery. The stock would be swapped out, muzzle device, but after that not much to change. Just proprietary parts and some added weight with the piston setup, 8-??oz or so beyond the BCM as the BCM was weighed with light, mount and sights. The 16.1 does give you the ability to use suppressors easier than the Pinned BCM, and am unsure of the compatibility of the Gem Halo or AAC mounts.......

Not sure if you can really go wrong and it really stinks to be in your position - l o l.

So, per your reasons, I'd chose the shorter DI gun (BCM) and tweek it out to your final happy place. I'd check to see if the Halo or AAC can attach for future use. Having the ability to swap and/or replace parts as needed would be a strong benefit when roaming the world after it ends. Just a man and his machine, and his Ipad.

(Gonna toss out 2 wild cards - LMT MRP DI or Piston with additional barrel in 6.8 or 300bo or even shorter barrels to swap to in 556. The KAC IWS Mod1 has a lot to offer for components/parts as well, and should go the distance. something to ponder)

promiseofwar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some good information thus far! Thanks! I was looking at the Jack Carbine over the LWRC and my friend said the DI Shifts where it Eats. Which made me look at the piston system as a choice.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you already have a good DI AR and just want to buy the "Bentley" of AR's go for the LWRC SPR. With the same amount of money, you could also spring for a Noveske or even Knights Armaments which would represent the "Ferrari" and "Lamborghini" of AR rifles. They are DI guns, however. :D

The LWRC will most likely outlast you unless you shoot over 2-5k rounds every year in carbine classes. With that said, things that will most likely fail is the piston spring. After that, parts known to break is the piston rod and of course your normal bolt wear / breakage. The SPR's are really nice and even the most staunch piston haters have to admit that the SPR is a fine rifle. It's one of the lighter piston rifles out there and the quality components are second to none. You do pay for that quality, however. Just keep in mind that if anything breaks, there's really nothing you can do with it. You have to ship it back to LWRC for repairs. There aren't any local gunsmiths who will know what to do with the thing.

The BCM Jack carbine has the bonus of being all milspec, so you can swap and replace any part. Any gunsmith familiar with AR's will be able to fix or troubleshoot anything that's wrong with the weapon. I'm a huge BCM fan, but for the price of the Jack Carbine, you could just spring for a Noveske or even a KAC if you don't mind some proprietary parts since you are considering an LWRC. If this is your 1 and only rifle or your "go to" rifle, then I would probably stick with DI or spend an extra $500 buying a bunch of spare parts for your LWRC.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some good information thus far! Thanks! I was looking at the Jack Carbine over the LWRC and my friend said the DI Shifts where it Eats. Which made me look at the piston system as a choice.

interesting, this argument never gets old. What is your friends experience with the platform? I can vouch for the competence of at least three of the respondents in this thread.
Invite your friend to come on over and we will have a nice, civil discussion about how wrong he is. lol.

...stick with DI or spend an extra $500 buying a bunch of spare parts for your LWRC.
O, buy the DI and take that $500 and attend a good carbine course.

Latest posts

Top Bottom