LWRC IC SPR 16 in barrel vs BCM Jack Carbine 14.7 inch?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I noticed you mentioned 3 gun as a possible use. Almost all the 3 gunners I know run 18" barrels with rifle length handguards (and rifle length adjustable gas systems) and use DI rifles. Most will take the extra mile to have adjustable gas blocks tuned to the lightest load, use lightened bolt carriers and buffers, ect... to minimize recoil. just about everything opposite to "mil spec" in terms of the supposed rules for AR reliability, hehehe. With that said, most of their rifles run like tops.

If you're looking for a do it all type rifle, I'd say a 14.5" or 16" barrel, medium gas system, with rifle length handguards would get you what you want. Run a good BCG and a H2 buffer and that setup should run just about anything your throw in it. It may not be the most finely tuned rifle like what the 3 gunners will use, but it will be rugged, reliable and do anything you'd pretty much want to do with it. With that said, if you really want a unicorn rifle like the Jack Carbine or a KAC, LWRC, ect, then go for it. Just be sure it's really what you want :)

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it were my $$$, it would be BCM over the others. For the money you're quoting though, you're nearly to a Noveske and that would be even better. Ranier Arms stocks BCM and Noveske for a side by side comparison. Keep in mind that there are at least two OK Noveske dealers who are also OSA members. ;)

promiseofwar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It seems that a build should be in my future! Is it a build when you take a complete lower and upper and marry them? And is that all it takes? Appreciate any feedback.

3 Gun is down the road a ways, but thanks for your input on that subject, 18 inch rifle never crossed my mind.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 3 AR's. A 16", 10.5" and a 14.5". If I could grab just one, it would be the 14.5" middy. With that being said, it might be better for you to go with a 16", especially if you ever plan to go into 3 gun. This way, you can try multiple muzzle devices and stay legal. Once you pick one for the 14.5" and pin it, it will be more difficult to swap them out. Just a thought.

When I think of a build, I think of a stripped upper/lower and a box full of parts (lpk, barrel, handguard, etc) and then an hour later you have a functioning rifle. However, you can buy a BCM or any other upper and slap it on a complete lower and call it good.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It seems that a build should be in my future! Is it a build when you take a complete lower and upper and marry them? And is that all it takes? Appreciate any feedback.

3 Gun is down the road a ways, but thanks for your input on that subject, 18 inch rifle never crossed my mind.

My recommendation: Get a defense weapon to serve as a defense weapon. Get a 3 gun weapon to serve as a three gun weapon. The reliability of your HD weapon is judged on a different scale, and under different circumstances than a competition gun.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My recommendation: Get a defense weapon to serve as a defense weapon. Get a 3 gun weapon to serve as a three gun weapon. The reliability of your HD weapon is judged on a different scale, and under different circumstances than a competition gun.

This really is the best advice. You can't expect 1 AR to do it all. That's why I have 3 :wink2:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

This, along with Henschman's question on the first page...figure out what you want to do with it first then compare equivalent models. Comparing a 16 inch SPR piston gun to a 14.5 inch carbine with fancy roll marks from Haley (even though BCM makes good rifles!) is not really a comparison without locking down the requirement first.

Always remembering that multi-purpose tools don't really do any one thing very well...

promiseofwar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SMS, I was thinking that for the money both would be good choices. POU must be addressed, so I'm looking forward to other AR purchases in the future, different barrel lengths and platforms. Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Latest posts

Top Bottom