LWRC IC SPR 16 in barrel vs BCM Jack Carbine 14.7 inch?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promiseofwar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you already have a good DI AR and just want to buy the "Bentley" of AR's go for the LWRC SPR. With the same amount of money, you could also spring for a Noveske or even Knights Armaments which would represent the "Ferrari" and "Lamborghini" of AR rifles. They are DI guns, however. :D

The LWRC will most likely outlast you unless you shoot over 2-5k rounds every year in carbine classes. With that said, things that will most likely fail is the piston spring. After that, parts known to break is the piston rod and of course your normal bolt wear / breakage. The SPR's are really nice and even the most staunch piston haters have to admit that the SPR is a fine rifle. It's one of the lighter piston rifles out there and the quality components are second to none. You do pay for that quality, however. Just keep in mind that if anything breaks, there's really nothing you can do with it. You have to ship it back to LWRC for repairs. There aren't any local gunsmiths who will know what to do with the thing.

The BCM Jack carbine has the bonus of being all milspec, so you can swap and replace any part. Any gunsmith familiar with AR's will be able to fix or troubleshoot anything that's wrong with the weapon. I'm a huge BCM fan, but for the price of the Jack Carbine, you could just spring for a Noveske or even a KAC if you don't mind some proprietary parts since you are considering an LWRC. If this is your 1 and only rifle or your "go to" rifle, then I would probably stick with DI or spend an extra $500 buying a bunch of spare parts for your LWRC.

Good point. Getting both would definitely be the best case scenario.

promiseofwar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
interesting, this argument never gets old. What is your friends experience with the platform? I can vouch for the competence of at least three of the respondents in this thread.
Invite your friend to come on over and we will have a nice, civil discussion about how wrong he is. lol.

O, buy the DI and take that $500 and attend a good carbine course.

He was a firearms instructor at FLETC and ex-military (Marines). I am beginning to think that both are great choices, but the BCM Jack is 2000.00 while Cheaper than Dirt has the LWRC SPR in the 2100.00 range.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own an LWRC and a BCM. I think the added weight of the piston in a 16" barrel is unnecessary. To be honest, it's unnecessary altogether. I bought mine in 10.5" when DI was hard to get to function in the DI platform. I would go with the BCM and not look back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question: does your LWRC run better suppressed?

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He was a firearms instructor at FLETC and ex-military (Marines). I am beginning to think that both are great choices, but the BCM Jack is 2000.00 while Cheaper than Dirt has the LWRC SPR in the 2100.00 range.

well now, a Jarhead. Madre di Dios, I am surrounded by them.
However, CTD is the devil.

BTW, Why are you enamored by the Jack carbine? I mean, what about it makes the cost worth it to you instead of another BCM offering?

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good point. Getting both would definitely be the best case scenario.

That's what I ended up doing. Although I've always shot AR's growing up, I never owned one until after college and I had enough free income to start my AR collection. My first AR was actually an LWRC M6A3. I figured that since I already knew how to handle DI AR's that I'd step into the unknown and get a LWRC as my first AR as a treat to myself for finally being able to afford more than ramen noodles, hehe. I built my first DI AR within 6 months after that.

Although I love my M6A3, it's a beast of a rifle. This was before they offered the lightened full length rails or the spiral fluting. It has the old style midlength quad rails and the barrel is a thick medium profile barrel and has the Vltor Emod stock. It's a friggin' hog and once you add a light and an aimpoint or a scope, you're pushing almost 10 pounds.

The DI gun I built has rifle length handguards and it's built to be very minimal and clean. The gun weights right at 8 pounds with just BUI optics. It's just a pleasure to shoot and I can haul that thing all day and not ever get fatigued. Hauling the LWRC feels like a burden, in comparison.

9 times out of 10, if I walk out of the house with an AR, it's my DI AR that I built. A part of me wants to sell my M6A3 upper and get the new SPR upper or a KAC upper. HOwever, because the LWRC is still practically new, I know I won't get near the value and money I spent on it.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well now, a Jarhead. Madre di Dios, I am surrounded by them.
However, CTD is the devil.

BTW, Why are you enamored by the Jack carbine? I mean, what about it makes the cost worth it to you instead of another BCM offering?

I was going to question this too. I mean, I just built a rifle for ~$1,200 that would keep up with the jack rifle all day long. Or, if you're unfamiliar with building one, you could buy a BCM middy upper and slap it on a pre-built lower and be into it for ~$1,500. Leaves $500 for a nice optic.

However, I understand wanting something in particular. I've always wanted an M1a or m1a1 for UMB. Lol. They're $$, but I love shooting that rifle. To each their own.

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, FLETC - hum, lets see, general issued ARs for CBP/Ice etc........ Nothing against their Colts or whatever is the flavor now, but i wouldn't classify the Jack, certain BCMs, Noveske or KAC in the same category. Nothing against his comments or his experience, as there have been some extremely well respected instructors go through......

Getting both would then put you back in the LMT CQB MRP realm and go both that way. only have to retain a bcg and barrel assembly. (use caution though, try the LM8 before your buy if its a consideration down the road, new designs are not always better)

Uh oh, starting to cave it seems to the pressure. KAC IWS Mod1 worth a look. Build - build up a Noveske Gen2 Lower or a Mega Billet with KAC/LMT/Colt or BCM tube, Spikes Buffer, etc and a BCM or KAC built upper.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was going to question this too. I mean, I just built a rifle for ~$1,200 that would keep up with the jack rifle all day long. Or, if you're unfamiliar with building one, you could buy a BCM middy upper and slap it on a pre-built lower and be into it for ~$1,500. Leaves $500 for a nice optic.

However, I understand wanting something in particular. I've always wanted an M1a or m1a1 for UMB. Lol. They're $$, but I love shooting that rifle. To each their own.

Im glad someone is making sure I never live that down.
Jeez, you try to help someone and, BAM, right in the kisser.

The last BCM middy I built was right at 1300 with a LaRue rail. smoothest shooter I have had.
You could spend a lot more, but there is a point of diminishing returns.

as far as PofW's friend saying the DI gun s#1t$ where it eats is essentially true, I will say that. However, it doesnt matter in the end. What does matter is lube, plenty of sexy lube.

Latest posts

Top Bottom