M&P Shield Information Center

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimgcampbell

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm starting this thread because information on the S&W M&P Shield is scattered all over this forum.

I was fortunate to buy a Shield 9MM this past May from 2A Shooting Center, and it has been a phenomenal pistol. Right out of the box, it had a very good trigger, excellent sights, and was utterly reliable. Its thinness though took some getting used to, because it changed my grip from how my SIG 229 felt in my hand. After about 200 rounds, I can shoot accurately and it feels natural.

I did install an Apex sear kit, which made an already good trigger an exceptional one. It took out a lot of the scratchiness when the trigger bar engaged the firing pin block. I would recommend all Shield owners to install their Apex tactical Shield Duty kit!

One major issue is inserting the 7 round mag into the gun. When fully loaded, it is a bear to insert the mag into the gun. It takes a ton of force to insert it, and you can feel it binding on the mag release. Not good. So I disassembled the 8 round and the 7 round mags and learned they have the same spring! Same length!! I figured the 7 round mag was getting fully compressed when I had 7 rounds in it and had no more room to compress when inserting into the gun. Cutting off one coil of the mag spring solved the issue. Now it inserts normally and has the same tension and feel of the 8 round mag; this did not affect feeding or reliability in the least.

The biggest issue is the gun's availability. You can't find one locally, and they're running MSRP + 10+% on Gunbroker.

What's your take or issue on the M&P Shield?

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've had my 9 since April. Bought it from Mark at Sooner Guns. I love it, 1000 rounds so far, no problems. I haven't noticed any problem inserting 7 round mag.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a 9mm and it is an exceptional shooter for it's size. I think at a minimum the Apex USB is a necessity to remove the "scrunchiness" from the pull. I put the Apex USB and sear in mine and left the springs stock for a 4.25 lbs. pull. The pull does stack after engaging the USB which I'm not crazy about.
No issue with inserting any of the mags when full on mine. I am having an issue with my grip interferring with the slide stop and and the slide not locking back on the last round.
Like to see some more sight options, the stock sights are more or less like the double stack sights. I picked up a decent kydex IWB holster from a guy named PJholster, I got one for appendix and FBI cant.

kimgcampbell

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for starting this up, I am very interested in a Shield in 9mm for my, umm my wife’s CC.

I agree with your decision! For my thinking the Shield is the ideal EDC handgun. I realize that everything is a compromise, but the Shield has the ideal balance of size and weight but enough heft to handle +P. I am very comfortable shooting 200+ rounds in an evening. Reviews on the Nano say that, after a short time, your hand hurts. Some reviews of the DB9 same the same. No review I have ever seen on the Shield complains about shootability or comfort even during extended sessions.

The thinness is amazing! It is unnoticeable underneath a shirt with my bellyband, and I think it only makes my comfort waist pants expand an inch or so with a DeSantis tuckable IWB.

Has anyone tried the Pistolwear bands? The PT-2 looks ideal for the Shield.

kimgcampbell

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a 9mm and it is an exceptional shooter for it's size. I think at a minimum the Apex USB is a necessity to remove the "scrunchiness" from the pull. I put the Apex USB and sear in mine and left the springs stock for a 4.25 lbs. pull. The pull does stack after engaging the USB which I'm not crazy about.
No issue with inserting any of the mags when full on mine. I am having an issue with my grip interferring with the slide stop and and the slide not locking back on the last round.
Like to see some more sight options, the stock sights are more or less like the double stack sights. I picked up a decent kydex IWB holster from a guy named PJholster, I got one for appendix and FBI cant.

What do you think of the PJ Holster? I was really interested in that before I found an inexpensive DeSantis Tuckable at MidwayUSA.

hfa68

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The biggest issue is the gun's availability. You can't find one locally, and they're running MSRP + 10+% on Gunbroker.

Maybe because I'm not looking for one is why I see them. Academy at 81st and 169 had a couple of Shields. I don't go there often, but the past couple of times they did have one in the case. Granted that it was a .40 and not a 9mm.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you guys are looking for a good holster I can recommend a Crossbred Minituck. I have one for my Springer XDS and it's nearly the same size as a Shield. Extremely comfortable and it disappears.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to pick up two 40 cal Shields locally (Elk City) within a two week period a few months ago. Haven't shot ours a lot but they are really nice pistols. I've carried mine some and even being my first carry weapon its pretty comfortable.