M&P15-22 vs HiPoint 995TS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noob2013

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm considering buying one of these two rifles / carbines because I have handguns on both calibers. My thoughts are on "consolidation" for shtf travel - same ammo for rifles / handguns and get rid of my AR and / or AK47

Looks like they are almost the same length and weight. 9mm admittedly is going to be more deadly; but, it'll be useless to have a non-functional weapon with more deadly ammo.
Besides the price and caliber differences, what are your opinions / comments / suggestions / thoughts on which one I should go with - in terms of reliability, easier and/or more fun to shoot (well, got to have fun shooting in non-shtf days).

I'm guessing ammo-wise; both are equally hard to come by. Perhaps, 9mm may be easier than .22lr?

Also, since Edmond range closed; please kindly suggests a range (preferably in the OKC metro area) that I can maybe try out 1 or possibly both of the guns?

thanks

Incrediblerod

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 995ts and love it.
I have about 1000 rounds through it with no issues.
9mm is easier to find and can be reloaded.
There are no reliable hi cap mags for it yet.

THE S&W is also very nice.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are preparing for a SHTF scenario, getting rid of an AR for a 9mm or 22 rifle of any kind is a really bad idea. A .223/5.56 AR can do way, way more than either of the other two combined. I totally get the handgun and rifle in same caliber thing but in a real SHTF situation having an AR or even AK is going to be far more beneficial to your survival that having a 9mm carbine and pistol.

I have a .45 Colt Henry Big Boy to go with my Ruger .45 Colt single actions and a .44 magnum Winchester 94 to go with my S&W 629 but in a bad situation I'm going to carry my AR anyway. Don't handicap yourself for the sake of convenience.

Now if were going with a 9mm carbine to go with my Beretta 92A1, I would choose a Beretta Cx4 because they use the same magazine. The S&W M&P15-22 is an excellent .22LR AR, consistently rated the best of the dedicated .22 AR's, and great to have on it's own, we have two. Great guns for hunting small game, target shooting, plinking or self defense in a pinch but definitely not as a primary self defense gun.

I don't have a Hi-point carbine but I've heard some people say they are reliable, bargain guns and others say they are complete junk. Is it something I would bet my life or the life of my family on? No way, I'll depend on my AR for that. As an affordable "fun" gun or "camp" gun? Yeah, maybe so.

H&H is a good place in OKC to try, they have a wide selection of rental guns but I don't know if they have exactly what you want. The downfall of H&H is the heat, in summer time the range is like Hotel Hell in there. I won't go there most of the year because it's too damn hot and hard to shoot when sweat is rolling through your eyes, probably not too safe either. I was hoping when they remodeled the store they would air condition and fix up the range but it didn't happen so keep in mind if you go it'll be brutally hot.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 995ts and love it.
I have about 1000 rounds through it with no issues.
9mm is easier to find and can be reloaded.
There are no reliable hi cap mags for it yet.

THE S&W is also very nice.

Ditto, without 1000 rounds down the tube yet. Fun to shoot and not cost prohibitive for the weapon or ammo.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
M&P15-22 vs HiPoint 995TS? For SHTF consideration?

I wouldn't put either of them in contention for a serious SHTF discussion except as for cheap backup/cache use.

Latest posts

Top Bottom