M1 Carbine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roarak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, i have always loved these little rifles and would like a little bit more info if possible. I honestly do not know much about them.

Where is a good place to buy, and is there any particular configuration i should look for? I dont want anything fancy or overly expensive, just a nice little rifle to have fun with at the range.

What would i expect to pay?

I already have dies for my Dillon 550, are brass/bullets readily available and reasonably priced?

What kind of accuracy can i expect at 75-100yds?

Thanks!

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you do a little research, you'll find that the M-1 Carbine was originally intended to replace of the .45 pistol and intended for troops who were not in front line combat. The bullet is a 110 grain jacketed round nose bullet. They are magazine fed and use 15 and 30 round magazines. My preference is the 15 round magazines.

Where to buy? I bought my last one from the gun show in Shawnee about a year ago. It was made by Inland and I thought it was a fair price. I gave $650.00 for it. The guy I bought it from sells lots of military surplus stuff. The last time I saw him was in Okc and he had some M-1 Garands as well as Carbines. He is usually wearing some type of military clothing and chomping on a cigar that isn't lit.

Brass is a bit expensive and a little difficult to find. Hang on to it and shoot it till it wears out. 110 grain bullets are not hard to find. H&H had some in their reloading section about a week ago. Just load it like a pistol bullet with a taper crimp and there should be no problems. I just found some Russian made steel case Tula and tried it out. No problems at all.

Accuracy.... I can hit a paper plate sized target at 100 yards with no problem.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just remember the name "universal" and stay away from it. Most all other makers parts(commercial or military) will interchange with each other except "universal".
Auto ordnance, national ordnance, plainfield, Iver johnson and others are commercial.
usually you can find commercials for $350-500 and real military's $600 and up.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are a blast. I will warn you that if you are interested in the Carbine, you can open a huge can of worms so be prepared. Lots of history there in the way of military contractors, values, revisions of parts used throughout the manufacturing run, etc.

If you want to think long term investment, the USGI guns are ones to have though there are some nice ones still made today.

If you want more info than you could possibly want on the Carbine, check out the book titled "War Baby!"

I'm not an expert on them but I have an IBM and an Inland. The Inland will be available for sale at some point.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I forgot that the plainfield and the Universal were two to stay away from. There were commercially made and never gained a good reputation. Ruger also makes a single action pistol chambered for the 30 M-1.

Last edited:

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My friend bought a Inland M1 a while ago at a gunshow for $500. You can get Aguilla ammo for it at Franson Firearms and i think Academy. Carbines are fun to shoot but i personally prefer its big brother.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My friend bought a Inland M1 a while ago at a gunshow for $500. You can get Aguilla ammo for it at Franson Firearms and i think Academy. Carbines are fun to shoot but i personally prefer its big brother.

You mean the M2 Carbine? Heck yes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom