M1A Socom 16

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think if I were going for a shortened M14 style rifle I'd be very tempted by LRB's M25 Tanker (fifth rifle down).

Those are cool. I don't know about 2800 dollars cool though.

Yeah, that's my stopper too. :)

Buy it!! Even used, $1500 is a good price for a Socom 16 and the optic is icing on the cake. I love mine, wouldn't trade it for anything, and it is an absolute blast to shoot (no pun intended)! It's about the most fun-to-shoot gun I've ever owned.

I can vouch for the "blast" part. :D

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That sounds like a great deal. I have wanted one of those for a very long time. There was an episode on triggers where a former navy seal was shooting one st some hanging coconuts. He exploded every one. It's next on my list.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always wanted a Springfield M1A, either a full size or scout squad, the SOCOM just seems so squatty. I've never even had the opportunity to shoot one but they have a great reputation and history.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That sounds like a great deal. I have wanted one of those for a very long time. There was an episode on triggers where a former navy seal was shooting one st some hanging coconuts. He exploded every one. It's next on my list.

That was an episode of "Triggers" comparing the AK47 and M1A. The host is Wil Willis, former US Army Ranger and US Air Force Para-Rescueman. I don't recall the military experience of that episodes guest co-host but they were comparing the M1A SOCOM vs the AK47 although it wasn't really a "which is better" but more of a "let's see how they compare". The M1A had a low power optic and the AK had iron sights so they discussed how it wasn't a fair match up but what really made the episode interesting was the results of the shots hitting the coconuts.

Both guys seemed surprised that the 7.62x39 rounds really didn't do a whole lot other than pierce the coconut and break it while the M1A's 7.62x51 made the coconuts explode quit impressively. There's no arguing the 7.62x51/.308 can put the hurt on your coconut should you be that unfortunate.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A word of caution since you said you might be hunting with it -- a short barreled, braked .308 is not very pleasant to shoot while stalking in the woods without ear pro! Some might even say it's not too pleasant even with ear pro. As far as length goes, if you take an 18" barreled Scout and put a shorter muzzle device on it, like a Vortex flash hider, it is less than an inch longer than a SOCOM. Not much difference in length or handling... but your ears will sure be able to tell the difference!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A word of caution since you said you might be hunting with it -- a short barreled, braked .308 is not very pleasant to shoot while stalking in the woods without ear pro! Some might even say it's not too pleasant even with ear pro. As far as length goes, if you take an 18" barreled Scout and put a shorter muzzle device on it, like a Vortex flash hider, it is less than an inch longer than a SOCOM. Not much difference in length or handling... but your ears will sure be able to tell the difference!

Spoken from somebody else who knows what they are talking about. I have a Smith Enterprises Vortex flash hider on mine. It really helps in low light shooting to keep from blinding you with muzzle flash.

Latest posts

Top Bottom