M96 Serial "777" - on gunbroker

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks to be pretty worn. I typically don't pay any attention to the stock disk markings as those generally are several decades out of date, but this one is marked as showing the rifle's bore is fairly down more so than usual. Plus, the stock set is mismatched, muzzle is threaded, etc. If you could snag it for less than $250, it'd be a decent deal. Hitting the BIN at $275 - well, you'd have to love the last three digits of the S/N to pay that much.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would be cautious. The barrel could have issues. It's been through 4 inspections with resultant downgrades. But, it still might shoot lights out. Odd that with all those pictures, they didn't show the crest and date on top of the receiver. It is an early one, I'm thinking, based on the early stock disk. It's probably still better than a lot of rifles offered up today.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The stock is easy to fix; the barrel, maybe not. However, the Swede's were known for being very critical in their inspections. It probably shoots very well.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How bad is the bore? Can you 'cipher the disc numbers? He took a nice shot of the chamber lol.

Well, as Ronny mentioned, the Swedes tended to be critical when rating bore conditions, so often what they considered to be marginal, a casual shooter might consider good. That having been said, the markings on the disc indicate the following:

pics.gunbroker.com_GB_306013000_306013138_pix767473895.jpg

Largest slice - amount of holdover: no numbers, so rifle shot to point of aim at 100 meters
Medium slice - bore diameter: four triangles are shown over 1, 2, 4, and 5, meaning the actual diameter of the bore grew progressively between inspections, from 6.51 to 6.52, 6.54, and finally 6.55 mm
Small slice - condition of bore: triangles over 2 and 3 indicate minor spots of rust in grooves, and some spots of rust through the bore, respectively.

Again, these ratings tended to be pessimistic, so someone who's not as exacting as the Swedish armorers were might not agree with the latter's assessment of the rifle's condition. However, keep in mind the markings on the disc indicate the condition at the last inspection which could have taken place several decades ago. That's why I tend to disregard the stock disc unless the markings are high, as in this case. Such a rifle I'd want to inspect carefully before buying.

By the way, the production date of 1919 isn't a particularly common or uncommon year - 17,966 M96's were produced that year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom