Numbers matching does not mean original.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I was thinking how many of a certain rifle were made lets say M96 mauser.
45,000 from my research.
Ok lets look at the serial number stamped parts.

3 digit numbers on the parts.
Isn't that like only 999 possible combinations of numbers?

If you had a lot of these and way back there were a lot of them laying around and to swap parts to get all numbers matching would give you a numbers matching rifle but it was not original.

Same goes for vehicles.. Do not get caught up in numbers matching and confuse it with original.

Just thinking out loud here, correct me if I am off on the math :)

Moparman485

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My favorite is when you see someone list a “numbers matching” gun, but it’s missing parts (sks magazines, buttstocks, original receiver cover, etc). And when you point out it out that it’s missing parts, they retort with “well the parts that are there match”. Well billy Bob, that means it’s an incomplete firearm and does not garner collectible money, so stop asking “complete” numbers matching money, for an incomplete rifle.

Or even better “all numbers match except {insert part here}”. Well, that’s just a long winded way of saying it’s not a numbers matching gun, period.

Always been a peeve of mine with uninformed people and surplus guns. Haha.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My favorite is when you see someone list a “numbers matching” gun, but it’s missing parts (sks magazines, buttstocks, original receiver cover, etc). And when you point out it out that it’s missing parts, they retort with “well the parts that are there match”. Well billy Bob, that means it’s an incomplete firearm and does not garner collectible money, so stop asking “complete” numbers matching money, for an incomplete rifle.

Or even better “all numbers match except {insert part here}”. Well, that’s just a long winded way of saying it’s not a numbers matching gun, period.

Always been a peeve of mine with uninformed people and surplus guns. Haha.
Reminds me of surplus ammunition that is "mildly corrosive" either it is corrosive or it's not.

Latest posts

Top Bottom