M96 Serial "777" - on gunbroker

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another thing to keep in mind is that those inspections were made a long time ago. There's no way to use them to measure it's current condition.

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, as Ronny mentioned, the Swedes tended to be critical when rating bore conditions, so often what they considered to be marginal, a casual shooter might consider good. That having been said, the markings on the disc indicate the following:

pics.gunbroker.com_GB_306013000_306013138_pix767473895.jpg

Largest slice - amount of holdover: no numbers, so rifle shot to point of aim at 100 meters
Medium slice - bore diameter: four triangles are shown over 1, 2, 4, and 5, meaning the actual diameter of the bore grew progressively between inspections, from 6.51 to 6.52, 6.54, and finally 6.55 mm
Small slice - condition of bore: triangles over 2 and 3 indicate minor spots of rust in grooves, and some spots of rust through the bore, respectively.

Again, these ratings tended to be pessimistic, so someone who's not as exacting as the Swedish armorers were might not agree with the latter's assessment of the rifle's condition. However, keep in mind the markings on the disc indicate the condition at the last inspection which could have taken place several decades ago. That's why I tend to disregard the stock disc unless the markings are high, as in this case. Such a rifle I'd want to inspect carefully before buying.

By the way, the production date of 1919 isn't a particularly common or uncommon year - 17,966 M96's were produced that year.

Thanks. Yes I would still go by the bullet test. I've seen some K98's marked 7.93 so maybe it still has some life in it. I wonder if they measured throat erosion.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. Yes I would still go by the bullet test. I've seen some K98's marked 7.93 so maybe it still has some life in it. I wonder if they measured throat erosion.

You mean like for a M1 Garand? I've never heard of that being done for a M96, but what I know amounts to beans :wink2: Also, be careful doing a bullet test - with the different bullets and ogives that could be used, I'd view that test more as a guide of good/not good than anything else. In the instance of the rifle in this thread, I'd suspect the cartridge would drop in close to, or up to, the case neck.

Come to think of it, I believe the stock disc on this rifle shows the worst measurements of a M96's condition that I can recall seeing.

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"When the barrel erosion reached 6.55mm, it was decommissioned and replaced."

I suppose the disc would have been changed if the barrel was replaced. You could part it out and get your money back if the thing keyholes or just does basketball size groups. it's all matching though.

LDA.45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"When the barrel erosion reached 6.55mm, it was decommissioned and replaced."

I suppose the disc would have been changed if the barrel was replaced. You could part it out and get your money back if the thing keyholes or just does basketball size groups. it's all matching though.

If it is the original barrel it will have the full serial no. on it. But you will to take it out of the stock to see it.
If it has been replaced it usually will have the last 4 or 5 numbers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom