Marlin 1895G Ahhhhhhhh

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt N.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might want to try Reloader 7 or IMR 4198 with Barnes Original 300 grain flat point. I have taken a lot of game with this combination out of my 1895 and it works quite well. My 1895 was made in the 1970s, is quite accurate, and has fed everything I ever put in it. A friend of mine gave up on trying to buy my old rifle from me and bought a new one. His had feeding issues right out of the box.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mines a new one out of the box and I haven't had any issues with it yet. I've been running the Hornady LeverEvolution out of it without any problems. Haven't started reloading them yet though...

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have yet to see a noticable difference in performance from the LE ammo out of my .30-30s. Now on my 1895G I need to get it in a rest to get better stats. I can clover leaf Remington corelok ammo at 30 yds. when I can't get anything within 3" with the LE ammo. I really need to get both platforms out and shoot them through a rest to confirm my original findings.

First things first. I need to get the sights setup on the 1895G that I want. then I'll take it out to the 100yd range for some trials.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have yet to see a noticable difference in performance from the LE ammo out of my .30-30s. Now on my 1895G I need to get it in a rest to get better stats. I can clover leaf Remington corelok ammo at 30 yds. when I can't get anything within 3" with the LE ammo. I really need to get both platforms out and shoot them through a rest to confirm my original findings.

First things first. I need to get the sights setup on the 1895G that I want. then I'll take it out to the 100yd range for some trials.

I cloverleafed the LE's out of my 1895 with the stock sights on it at 50 yards. Been very happy with it so far. My .30-30 loves the cheap crappy 150gr blue boxed federals. Never understood it.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't want to understand it personally. There are plenty of dead animals that can't tell you how much they think the Federal rounds suck.

Just goes to show you that every gun you purchase needs to have multiple brands of ammo ran through it. If you reload play around.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't want to understand it personally. There are plenty of dead animals that can't tell you how much they think the Federal rounds suck.

Just goes to show you that every gun you purchase needs to have multiple brands of ammo ran through it. If you reload play around.

LOL, true enough! I'm trying to figure out what powder the federals used. I've got the same bullets just need to know what powder and weight.

I'll probably stick with the Hornady bullets when I reload the 45-70... no sense missing with what works!

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to say it was hanging up on the lifter getting out of the magazine tube and locking everything up nice and tight. Its been a while but this is to my best recollections.
That is what mine was doing with the Hornady Lever Reveloution. My handloads, Trapdoor safe levels, was fun and no problem.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
first off do you own any other Marlins? if so get one out and put one round in the magazine. Reference how the round seats on the loading gate. If you don't have another Marlin the round should slide back and rest against the cutout on the loading gate.

My Marlin was allowing the rounds to hang up infront of the loading gate. When you would cycle the lever down the carrier would allow the round to jump only 1/4 to 1/2 inch out. BAM Marlin Jamb. It took a screw driver or punch to drag it out. After this the subsequent rounds may or may not seat properly.

If the round does not seat properly after loaded it will be to far foward and the timing of the action will not allow it to pass to its intended position before the carrier leaves its lowest position.

I would send it to Marlin. They will fix it and return it to you at no cost. You just have to get it there. Call the 800 number on the website for details.
Damn, that is a description exactly--down to the screwdriver.

Iwant1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL, true enough! I'm trying to figure out what powder the federals used. I've got the same bullets just need to know what powder and weight.

I'll probably stick with the Hornady bullets when I reload the 45-70... no sense missing with what works!

I'm wanting one right now...I'm trying to sell or trade my M&Pc .40.
What have yall been paying for a box of 45-70's. I was alittle concerned at the cost of these big boys...?

Latest posts

Top Bottom