Memorial Day Weather in New Orleans ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.C. Kerns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be taking a long weekend in New Orleans, around the end of May, Memorial day weekend most likely. I've never been there, but I've always wanted to see the WWII Museum, take a stroll on Bourbon Street, eat some genuine Creole/Cajun/French cuisine and take a couple of guided group tours of the sights.

What is the weather normally like in that place and time ? I'll be carrying concealed and need to know what clothes to pack for comfort and concealment.

Any advice, anecdotes, concerns, warnings, let's hear it.

thanks,

JC in Duncan

sixseven

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It will be hot and humid. We were there for the national championship game and it was jeans and tshirt weather then (65 degrees during the day). The WWII museum is a must, and whatever you do, make sure you also get a ticket to watch the movie they have there by Tom Hanks. It's incredible. I don't know about you, but I like to have a drink or two, so carrying concealed wasn't on my agenda while I was there. Also not sure about the laws there but almost every place on bourbon street makes their money selling alcohol, so I'd be inclined to leave my piece in the room at least for the time you'll be on bourbon. When we were there, there's a bar called Fat Katz right in the middle of bourbon street and they had the best cover band i've seen in 10 years. If you get the chance you should take an airboat swamp tour as well. The weather was so warm we saw a ton of gators even in january including an 8 footer on the bank. If you want a nice seafood dinner, you can't miss GW Fins. It's pricey but not outrageous (my wife and i's tab was $168 with two appetizers, two desserts and a $40 bottle of wine). I can't say enough about GW Fins, though. It's THE best food I've had in a long time and possibly the best seafood i've EVER had. We sat next to Kirk Herbstreit and Chip Kelly the night we ate there. If you go, order the lobster dumpling appetizers. We also got the sizzling oysters on the half shell and they were OMG good. What else...if you want cajun food try Jaques Imo'z. Also you should go to Mother's for breakfast while you're there. It's on Tchouptioulas and a line forms during busy times so go early or at an odd time like 2pm. You can't go to New Orleans without going to Cafe du Monde and having some beignets. If you want to listen to some good live music and go to where the locals go and get away from the tourist trap known as bourbon street, have a cab take you to Frenchman Street. It's a strip of bars and clubs that are much more laid back than those on bourbon. If you have any questions, let me know...i was there just two weeks ago so this is all fresh in my mind. Have fun!

sixseven

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually I got curious so I just looked and it looks like you can't have your ccw in a bar period. Depending on your lifestyle that could put a damper on your plans on bourbon street. I can tell you one thing, I've been there a lot and there is a heavy police presence and as long as you don't act stupid they won't mess with you, but i have seen them crack some heads when people act like idiots. That being said, with the police presence, you don't have to worry about much along the lines of violence. The main thing to worry about it pick pockets. They are all over there and they are GOOD. Keep your wallet in your front pocket and don't go down any side streets that aren't well populated and you'll be fine.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My advice to you.....N.O. is a town known for fun and trouble.....yes, trouble...even after Katrina.

Stay in the tourist area, if you go on any sightseeing tours, especially the garveyards, go on a guided tour. I love their graveyards and have even scratched my "XXX" on Marie Laveau's grave. That was an alcohol fed(maybe other stuff) wilder bender...that story will never be told!!!!! I can't remember a few days from that party!!!!

Marie Laveau was reportedly buried in Saint Louis Cemetery #1 in New Orleans in the Glapion family crypt. Be careful if you take a cemetery tour....don't go alone.

Bums, crackheads, and crooks hang out and live in some of the old crypts waiting to rob and steal from people who are alone or walk away from their car(break into it). With a tour, you'll be okay.

Glapion family crypt where Marie is supposed to be buried.
greylily.files.wordpress.com_2009_09_nola_web_45.jpg_5f1457c787ec7f17f992152c56a76fbb.jpg

[Broken External Image]

Cohiba

A side note...if anyone wonders why in Galveston and along the Gulf Coast there are so many crypts and cemented graves. It has to do with the water table, being at or below Gulf Coast water level. You dig in the ground and water pushes the casket up. Cement it in and over the grave....they stay put. Or build above ground and don't have to worry....except during floods and hurricanes!!!

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check out the concealed carry laws in advance (of course). Be aware that there are stories of police confiscating firearms from legal permit holders on the basis that they cannot prove ownership. Unless you have a sales receipt proving you are the owner of the firearm - too bad.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The WW2 museum is great. You should really like it. HUMID is the word to describe it. Bring mosquito spray also. Ive been there several times before and after the hurricane and have enjoyed it. I used to really like the trolley rides until some fat kid next to me pooped his pants. If I remember correctly this place is pretty close to the museum. http://www.emerils.com/restaurant/1/Emerils-New-Orleans/

Neil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recommend one of the walking ghost tours, lots of fun. The food is incredible at nearly any place in the Quarter you choose to stop at. Be street-wise, or you will have a bad trip.

By all means, check out Jean Laffitte's Blacksmith Shop near the "end" of Bourbon Street. Supposedly the oldest bar in America, and definitely a piratey good time.

The Olde Absinthe House is also worth a stop.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get the hell off bourbon asap. Memorial day will be shorts and tshirt weather, for example Christmas when were down there house hunting was 60's during the day 40's at night. Leave the piece in your room, even restraunts selling alcohol are off limits regardless of whether or not you are drinking. Prohibition on carry is based on type of permit an establishment has and it is a royal mess trying to figure out if you are okay to carry. Bourbon is the tourist trap you want good music walk to frenchman the other side of esplanade and thats where the music scene is. The haunted history tours are good if you get a good guide, lynn Guitard works weekends only, he's a retired nopd officer, and native and will give you real history not made up bs. Don't waste your timegoing to acme oyster house, right across the street is felix's, the oysters are bigger and fresher, the prices are better and it's not full of idiots. Locals usually eat there. I have been going to nola since 1994 my wife and i are frequently mistaken as locals and not as tourists.

Lafittes absinthe house on bourbon if you must, the tropical isle at bourbon and orleans usually has big al carson playing he is a local music scene fixture, and fritzels next door is the one exception to jazz being non existent on bourbon. Fyi once you pass st ann on bourbon you have reached the gay section of the quarter. The exception being lafittes blacksmith shop which is in fact he oldest contiguosly operating bar in north america. Do a carriage ride tour from jackson square down n decateur most of those guys have the facts pretty much straight as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom