Method for determining knife blade quality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sheesh! All I'm asking is for someone else to see if their better knives make noticably different sounds. So far, no one appears even willing to try this simple test.

I never offered this as a buy or not technique, and am actually aware of differernt types of steels, shapes, etc.

So far, the responses have been opinions formed in the absence of experimental data. I expected some of this, but not this total resistance.

I feel a bit like the guy who first discovered tomatos weren't poisonous. Speaking of eating tomatos, gotta go. If this thread still exists when I get back I hope to see at least a few "I tried it" resonses.

Merlin72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks , my wife was watching from the kitchen and when I noticed her she just gave me one of those " I'm not even going to ask because I already know your retarded looks ". This is kind of like one of those lick your elbow jokes isn't it ?
Anyways , the couple Benchmades and my Spyderco that I tried it with all sounded about the same. No ringing really just a very faint chirp as my thumb rubbed across it. Similiar to the same sound that as made when sharpening one with a stone.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sheesh! All I'm asking is for someone else to see if their better knives make noticably different sounds. So far, no one appears even willing to try this simple test.

I never offered this as a buy or not technique, and am actually aware of differernt types of steels, shapes, etc.

So far, the responses have been opinions formed in the absence of experimental data. I expected some of this, but not this total resistance.

I feel a bit like the guy who first discovered tomatos weren't poisonous. Speaking of eating tomatos, gotta go. If this thread still exists when I get back I hope to see at least a few "I tried it" resonses.

Don't be too pissed, we are just offering SAFER, more reasonable ways to do things. As opposed to asking a person to hold a knife to their ear and run their fingers across the sharp part.....:homer:

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't be too pissed, we are just offering SAFER, more reasonable ways to do things. As opposed to asking a person to hold a knife to their ear and run their fingers across the sharp part.....:homer:

Not pissed at all, just surprised that all the responsed have been judgmental in the absence of any personal experimentation.

As to safety, this test doesn't exactly equate to biking without a helment, but if you are afraid, you might try a thin leather glove . . .

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks , my wife was watching from the kitchen and when I noticed her she just gave me one of those " I'm not even going to ask because I already know your retarded looks ". This is kind of like one of those lick your elbow jokes isn't it ?
Anyways , the couple Benchmades and my Spyderco that I tried it with all sounded about the same. No ringing really just a very faint chirp as my thumb rubbed across it. Similiar to the same sound that as made when sharpening one with a stone.

These are all, I suspect, high quality blades. I actually have an old "stainless Pakistan" copy of a Buck with a blade made of goat cheese, I think. If you ever get it sharp enough to cut paper, it makes a completely dull sound, and dulls on the second test cut.

I don't have a Spiderco, but my Benchmades and a couple of other good knives make that sound. I have three older Colt knives that don't do it at all. Don't hold a decent edge for long either.

Thank you very much for making the effort. If your wife needs a note from me, let me know. I'm going to hide out at my deer hunting place for a couple of days where even cell phone service is a sometime thing and computers are nonesistent. Wife and dogs will be home, loaded and locked. (the original phrase refering to the 03 Springfield.)

Thanks

Latest posts

Top Bottom