Mini 14, Help/Advice Needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HardCharger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok folks, here is the deal. I have a stainless mini-14 ranch rifle. I have a butler creek folder and a Redfield scope (2-7X33 accu-range) on her and it is great.

Now the dilemma...

I purchased a Masen muzzle brake a while back and never put it on. Now I find out that the pin hole and the gap in the barrel are off substantially (for this anyway, close to a quarter inch). It is seated as far as it will go down on the barrel.

So. I was wondering if anyone knows a good solution to this problem? Besides an AR that is? I have 4 of them and that will be fine for now...

I thought about getting a muzzle champfering/crowning lit and just taking it down until it is where I need it to be, but I don't know if that will mess anything up. Besides, it is the only 5.56 rifle I have that does not have a threaded barrel on it, or isn't already crowned correctly so I did not want to buy a single use item at $XX.xx

The brake would not support any "modding" so that is out too.

Any suggestions? Something I haven't thought of to remedy the situation here?

Also, I somehow managed to completely destroy my flip up rear sight. Anyone know where I can get the whole assembly?

Thanks in advance...

HardCharger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I am not sure what pictures I need to be taking here.

This is the brake (Exhibit A)...
i1183.photobucket.com_albums_x476_smckevin_Mini_2014_100_1765.jpg

This is a poor pic of the notch in the barrel that the pin is supposed to slide through to hold the brake in place. (Exhibit B)
i1183.photobucket.com_albums_x476_smckevin_Mini_2014_100_1769.jpg

So A is supposed to slide onto B, which it does, but it is stopped by the ridge inside the brake that the barrel is supposed to stop against. The problem is that it stops before the pin hole in the brake aligns with the barrel notch.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How far?

Is there room in the brake to bore? How 'bout a pic of it slid on as far as it goes.

Do it!

Are you planning on never changing it back?

When it is on, is the pin slot on the barrel exposed?

Latest posts

Top Bottom