Mini 14, Help/Advice Needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, the rear sight is a flip up, and yes it certainly sucks.

Anyway, I appreciate the suggetions I have gotten.

What about shortening the barrel? This way the old sight could go back on if I needed it and I could put a real crown on it while I am doing it.

Anybody have any experience with this at all?

I have never removed one of those barrels. If it comes out easy, it will fit in my lathe. If it doesn't, we'd have to use my mill and 3 jaw spacer head. Haven't done one that way yet, but that's my plan for my 308 Saiga.

HardCharger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen champfer 90 degree cutters that I think would shave it down.

Is this a bad idea or do you think it may work. I am talking 1 or 2 centimeters TOPS.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i put a a similar JM product on my early Mini....the part needed a little file work and emery paper to seat fully... and the pin had a burr on it that needed a little attention.

"drop in" parts usually will---- some need a little sweet talking.

Ruger may or may not send out parts... depends on who who talk to as Customer Service. I will say this... send in all that aftermarket stuff on your gun...the Factory shop will remove it... and restore your gun to all factory parts (plus factory improvements... ask anybody who's ever send a 4 click Blackhawk how that's working for them)

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The receiver is similiar to a FAL receiver in that you do not want to torque it in the middle, Just right up on the barrel to receiver area.
I cut and crowned mine with the hand crowning tool. So yes it can be done without removing the barrel. Just make sure the cut is square.

HardCharger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody have a tool I can use for that?

This seems like the least painful route but the cutter seems high for a one time use.

If I was to have someone do it, I would have them chop the barrel to 16" and then added the brake.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had to do this to put the Choate sight/brake on my Mini-30:

Get the thing on straight and as far as it will go.
Use a needle file slightly smaller than the hole in the sight to cut a new notch. File through the hole in the sight Just go slow. File till the notch matches the hole. Insert pin.

If you ever pull the thing off and go back to the original sight you will see the new notch. With the Choate model, the new notch would be covered by the factory sight.

Latest posts

Top Bottom