Mini 14, Help/Advice Needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HardCharger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had to do this to put the Choate sight/brake on my Mini-30:

Get the thing on straight and as far as it will go.
Use a needle file slightly smaller than the hole in the sight to cut a new notch. File through the hole in the sight Just go slow. File till the notch matches the hole. Insert pin.

If you ever pull the thing off and go back to the original sight you will see the new notch. With the Choate model, the new notch would be covered by the factory sight.

I may try this, but I am not sure I could get this on straight and keep it there while I file.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are more than welcome to bring it by. I have all the measuring stuff in the world, and some pretty big metal cutting machines. I should have a little time early next week.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may try this, but I am not sure I could get this on straight and keep it there while I file.

I understand that. Once again...not apples/apples but the Choate had a set screw to hold it while the notch was cut.

Someone mentioned the rear sight and how lousy it is...yep. Lousy. Williams makes a replacment rear sight. I went with that and it works great. Apertures are interchangeable.

Latest posts

Top Bottom