More Teens Turning To Ozempic Drug For Weight Loss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think most drugs go through a least a moderately decent testing when they’re being developed. At least for their initial intended purpose.
Here’s my concern. When drugs start getting prescribed for new issues and new clientele they aren’t always vetted as well. So how many years before they discover some deadly side effect for this new target audience?
The number of Rx drugs that made it to FDA approval and were later found to have an unacceptable level of side-effects, is not insignificant. :(

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The number of Rx drugs that made it to FDA approval and were later found to have an unacceptable level of side-effects, is not insignificant. :(
Yep. I flat refuse to take the "latest, greatest" Rx out there for just that reason. Remember the fen-fen disaster?? Hell, I wouldn't even let the docs try Botox on me for my migraines until it had been used for migraines for something like 10 years?? Or so?? If drug companies want to use me as a guinea pig, they can damn well pay me for that privilege. 😉

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember the fen-fen disaster??
I remember that, and I knew a few people who needed to lose a lot of weight and got amazing results from it. I didn’t know jack about medicine (beyond high school biology class) at the time, and I had never talked to a doctor about it, but even I knew that this was only supposed to be for people for whom their weight was an extreme risk factor because heart problems were a definite possible side effect. It wasn't a freaking secret, even before the lawsuits. I thought then and I still think now that the problem wasn’t the drug, it was the people who didn’t actually need it who bullied their doctors into prescribing it, and those doctors, who were at fault.

I mean, hell, it was like saying “chemo helps cancer patients, so I should get it because I have this mole on my butt cheek.”

It’s just reason number 1,285,484 that I think we were better off when drug companies and lawyers weren’t allowed to advertise on TV…

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember that, and I knew a few people who needed to lose a lot of weight and got amazing results from it. I didn’t know jack about medicine (beyond high school biology class) at the time, and I had never talked to a doctor about it, but even I knew that this was only supposed to be for people for whom their weight was an extreme risk factor because heart problems were a definite possible side effect. It wasn't a freaking secret, even before the lawsuits. I thought then and I still think now that the problem wasn’t the drug, it was the people who didn’t actually need it who bullied their doctors into prescribing it, and those doctors, who were at fault.

I mean, hell, it was like saying “chemo helps cancer patients, so I should get it because I have this mole on my butt cheek.”

It’s just reason number 1,285,484 that I think we were better off when drug companies and lawyers weren’t allowed to advertise on TV…
Personally, I think TV advertising of Meds is hush money paid by pharmaceutical companies so that network news won't do stories on all the side effects and issues that patients have had on their meds. Ozempic currently has a lot of support in many countries as a weight loss protocol. After all, with TV adds do you really think people are going to their doctor and saying:

"Doctor, I have restless eye syndrome, with the potential side effects of hair loss and erectile disfunction, could you give me this new drug?"

Nope. Get's the network's news off their backs, makes people feel all warm and fuzzy about the meds they are on (Just listen to that perky pop music in the background!) Most Americans over the age 60 are on 3 or more meds, average lifespan is declining. Medicine has abandoned us long ago for an installment plan to buy drugs. Get those teens on it now, they'll be paying us for the next 40 or 50 years, or until they die.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Semaglutide (Ozempic and Wegovy) IS an experiment and patients that take it ARE the guinea pigs.
Semaglutide has been around for years as a diabetic med; if there were going to be outrageous side effects, we'd probably know by now. I don't advocate taking any prescription to lose weight, but being Ozempic and the others are used for diabetes - the little round people can take it now to lose weight, or later, when they're full-on type 2.

I side with diet and exercise.

Latest posts

Top Bottom