More Teens Turning To Ozempic Drug For Weight Loss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Semaglutide has been around for years as a diabetic med; if there were going to be outrageous side effects, we'd probably know by now. I don't advocate taking any prescription to lose weight, but being Ozempic and the others are used for diabetes - the little round people can take it now to lose weight, or later, when they're full-on type 2.

I side with diet and exercise.

Oh you know what?? I'd forgotten about that but yeah ... Grumpy has been on it for a few years.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember that, and I knew a few people who needed to lose a lot of weight and got amazing results from it. I didn’t know jack about medicine (beyond high school biology class) at the time, and I had never talked to a doctor about it, but even I knew that this was only supposed to be for people for whom their weight was an extreme risk factor because heart problems were a definite possible side effect. It wasn't a freaking secret, even before the lawsuits. I thought then and I still think now that the problem wasn’t the drug, it was the people who didn’t actually need it who bullied their doctors into prescribing it, and those doctors, who were at fault.

I mean, hell, it was like saying “chemo helps cancer patients, so I should get it because I have this mole on my butt cheek.”

It’s just reason number 1,285,484 that I think we were better off when drug companies and lawyers weren’t allowed to advertise on TV…
I took care of some of those patients at the beginning of my respiratory career. It was mostly women in their 20s and 30s who only wanted to lose 15-20 pounds that were now on the ventilator with pulmonary hypertension and dying. Hated seeing that, it was so unnecessary and a waste of a human life, for vanity.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Semaglutide has been around for years as a diabetic med; if there were going to be outrageous side effects, we'd probably know by now. I don't advocate taking any prescription to lose weight, but being Ozempic and the others are used for diabetes - the little round people can take it now to lose weight, or later, when they're full-on type 2.

I side with diet and exercise.

I don't consider "a few years" as being a long-term study. But that's just me. But I agree, diet and exercise.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How do you define “a few years?”

10 to 15 years. We know some of the side effects can be potentially severe. At least the ones reported by big pharmaceutical.
Some I’m sure we don’t yet know, esp in young kids.

I know there be a few that disagree, but to each your own. I’m not here to argue or belabor the point so save your typing.

As a 68yo former T2D, I got off meds and lost weight and didn't need a drug with at least 19 potential side effects to do it. Have fun with it if you prefer that route.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I honestly think that big pharma could care less what they peddle. It is probably a race to get it FDA approved so they can make their billions before they fully well know it will be eventually pulled. I trust the FDA about as much as a the CDC. It is all about the $$$.
I agree with this 100%. I had over 3200 Fen-Phen cases in 2002. Tens of thousands of people suffered from that drug. It had killed folks in Europe before it was ever used here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom