Mosin-Nagant M44 not extracting shells

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I told my brother id get his M44 fixed for him as a Christmas present. I need y'alls advice on the best way to go.

Here's what I know about the problem:

After the 1st or second shot the rifle will no longer extract a shell. The shell had to be poked out with a cleaning rod. I wasn't there when it happened so I wasn't able to examine the shell. He said it happened several times so I don't think it was just a bad shell.

I compared the bolt on his to one from a 91/33 and the extractor looks bent in comparison.

His bolt is not a matching number bolt to the rifle. Can I just buy a "replacement" bolt? If so, where? Can I just swap the bolts or is there something like headspace that should be checked? Would it be easier/cheaper to fix/replace the extractor? Is the extractor the problem, or could it be something else?

Should I just take it to someplace like Franson Firearms or try to tackle it myself? I would consider my "skill level" LOW and I dont have any special tools. I can assemble stuff, but dont know jack about putting tools to metal.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you can get mosin extractors on ebay for $11-12 with free shipping.
there are youtube videos to show how to change it.
Good luck.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you can get mosin extractors on ebay for $11-12 with free shipping.
there are youtube videos to show how to change it.
Good luck.

"Good luck" kinda scares me... I need to watch the yvideos and see how involved it is.

So, one vote for "do it yourself". I forget that everything can be learned from YouTube. Anybody else have any suggestions? What about a bolt swap?

Gun$linger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Second on cleaning the chamber, old cosmoline can be very tough. Laquered surplus ammo also tends to leave behind some tough residue. Let us know what happens.

Molan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, as previously advised, I would clean out the chamber. If you have any of the brass or cartridges that have been extracted from the rifle, you should check for scratches. If there are some deep scratches, it may not be the extractor and may be a burr. To test for burrs, take cotton ball and run it around the chamber to see if it hangs up.
Once the chamber is cleaned, it might be best to remove your brother's bolt and test it in another M44. If it doesn't extract in another rifle, then start with replacing the extractor.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Odds are good you have a bent extractor. This is usually caused by inserting a round directly into the chamber and then closing the bolt on it. That's a no-no. Always load the magazine and feed rounds from there by cycling the bolt.

Fixing the problem is easy. Best is to get a new extractor, but you can take the old one out and beat it into submission with a hammer. It should be flat. This will help you disassemble the bolt. http://www.surplusrifle.com/finnishmosin/boltdisassembly/index.asp

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Odds are good you have a bent extractor. This is usually caused by inserting a round directly into the chamber and then closing the bolt on it. That's a no-no. Always load the magazine and feed rounds from there by cycling the bolt.

Fixing the problem is easy. Best is to get a new extractor, but you can take the old one out and beat it into submission with a hammer. It should be flat. This will help you disassemble the bolt. http://www.surplusrifle.com/finnishmosin/boltdisassembly/index.asp

While good advice the mosin is not a controlled round feed design. It is designed to pop the extractor over the rim.

Latest posts

Top Bottom