Mossberg 500

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nastymossberg

Marksman
Reaction score
Hey does anybody know if you can shoot slugs though the 18.5 barrel of mossbergs 500 series I bought the barrel from mossberg and it's not rifled nor does it have a choke

Neil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Mossberg 500 is a dedicated slug gun. Runs great. Granted it has the 24" slug barrel on it, but what others have posted is right. As long as you have no choke, slugs should shoot fine. Use rifled slugs instead of sabot for best results.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...with the note that you want rifled slugs in your smooth bore.:thumb: You can shoot the sabot hunting slugs, but they won't do what they are supposed to do unless you have a rifled barrel.

Equally, if you shoot a rifled slug through a rifled barrel, yes you may, "experience some difficulty."

If you like the pistol grip- get a pistol grip stock. Shorter is better. I'm 5'10", and my LOP is 11.5", which lets me pull things in nice and tight, and use sighted fire. Choate is probably your best buy, as their products are the most rigid, and stable. Speedfeed offers youth/shorty stock as well, but they run a bit higher. AR-style stock (any make) don't stand up well with some jam-clearance methods.:nutkick:

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What if the barrel did have a choke tube? I understand the rifled tubes but at what smooth choke constriction are you running the risk of blowing the end of your barrel off?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What if the barrel did have a choke tube? I understand the rifled tubes but at what smooth choke constriction are you running the risk of blowing the end of your barrel off?

You might get away with skeet or improved cylinder but I don't want to test anything tighter than that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom