Most expensive pistol I've ever bought!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
" If you own firearms as tools in defense of your life, how much is your life worth?"

I'd say an R.G. snub nose with 3 rounds of 158 grain round nose 38 special! Total cost a six pack and a box of Swisher Sweets!😆

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You mean most overpriced pistol you ever bought. It’s a Glock! Jokes on you
Prolly gonna get in trouble for this since nobody can take a joke anymore …but……

CE4FC89F-18CA-49EF-ABA6-86588AF1CA3F.jpeg

96A1

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You get what you pay for. I have 1 .22 pistol that is under $1k. The the other 15 or so are all over that, some almost 10k. Quality is better than quantity. I guess it depends on what you use em for. If you own firearms as tools in defense of your life, how much is your life worth?

I’m not here to judge your choices. But I definitely trust my life to my Sig SP2022. Or my PX4 Storm. Or my Glock 42. All under $500 in my case.

I feel there are diminishing returns on guns especially pistols once you get above $900. At that point it’s customization, bling, accessories. And I’m sorry but if a guy can’t shoot a $500 Glock,Sig,Beretta,Smith without doing a reasonable job and doesn’t have any major hand maladies - it’s definitely the guy, not the gun.

I’m not gonna judge another guy’s gun collection but I also know that people defend their livelihood every day with relatively inexpensive yet fully functioning accurate firearms. To say your/his/her $1500 gun will save my life better than my $500 gun I’ve trained with is simply a stretch to put it politely.

Also that gap could buy some nice body armor. Don’t forget, it’s possible they’ll shoot back. Or first.

Last edited:

Boaty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you can drive a 1972 pinto around just as a new Porsche. They both get from A to B. If you don’t know the difference,..
I have a couple Glocks. After trigger jobs, barsto barrels, tritium sights, Cerakote, milled slides, MRD, streamlight, ospry can, they are well north of 1k each. Had 20 years to fine tune them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reliability is the only requisite I look for in a SD firearm. If it will shoot 200 rounds in rapid fire without failure, I'm good with whatever firearm it is. Don't care what brand, what model, whatever. It has to be reliable.
Yes, adding accessories can add to the overall cost of the firearm but is a $4000.00 Smitte/Bender scope going to make you more accurate than open sights at hallways distance?
There comes a time to say that $150 red/green dot is superior for that application.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reliability is my primary concern as well, but I also have to figure in the ergonomics of a pistol that I can shoot instinctively well...not force myself to shoot well when I'm in a range environment and able to concentrate on fundamentals...I need a pistol I can snap shoot into a target the size of a human face at 15 yards when my heart rate is 200+ and my adrenaline dump is in full force. Sometimes that gets overlooked. If it takes an expensive pistol to get there for someone I am not going to judge.

It just so happens that I can accomplish my accuracy goals with my Glock 17 and S&W M&P 40s. So those are my ranch carry and HD pistols. Yay, only $500. Plus if I'm ever robbed and my HD/carry pistol is stolen, I'm out a $500 pistol...not a $2K + pistol. Double yay.

I also would rather shoot one nice gun for fun than three crappy ones. So I'll always favor things that potentially cost more (as long as I personally see their value). I might trust my life to my S&W M&P more than my original Python, but guess which one gets pulled out of the safe and admired more?

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Years ago there was a contest on which gun ran the longest without malfunction. Just stand and shoot until your gun failed. I’ll take a stock Glock over any fancy pistol out there. I’ve had some pretty expensive handguns over the years and they are very nice. If I had to bet my life on one it would be a stock Glock 17 or 19.

Boaty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reliable is great. 10 in spread at 12 yards is no good. Your not always gonna be in your hallway. I got an AR-10. Not intended for home defense. I got a 22-250 with a Nightforce scope, also not intended for personal defense. Ditto with the 7mm mag. Got a couple shotguns with red dot and flashlights. Again north of 1k. This started with all guns not pistols, but the 4 i got all shoot nice tight silver dollar sized groups or less. And they reliable. You get what you pay for.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
My R.G. snub has never failed to go off, except when it hits the two empty spots in the cylinder. I like to stagger them to make sure I've got good trigger control when things get jiggy. The sixer sadly is gone, but I do have a couple of Swishers left. As for accuracy, I can snap shoot buttons off a shirt at 57 yards as long as the smoke from the Swisher doesn't get in my eyes, and I can usually hit Prairie dogs out to 107 yards when I bolt on the Swarzeisky 13X57 scope. I tried a Glock once but the 18 inch groups at 9 feet just wasn't acceptable and there was no way to mount the scope for long range shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom