mountain lion tracks @ Lexington WMA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droberts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hmmm, could be a toe-clipped dog i spose. not sure i'll ever be sold on it though, the toe placement one some look similar to dog, but very different on others.
the X straight criss-cross lines of a dog's paw just doesnt exist on the one pictured 2 posts up

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been looking at them on your blog and most of the pics clearly look like dog...but at least one looks vaguely cat-ish. Can't tell if it's the soft mud making it distorted or if you have pics of both dog and cat tracks. Or if I'm blind.

Cat tracks have two lobes in on the front of the pad (dog has one), three lobes on the back (dog has two), and the front two toes don't line up side by side like a dog. The pics I can see clearly have one front lobe, two back, and the toe shape and alignment looks like a dog. A couple I can't see well enough.

Droberts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yea im starting to wonder if its a mix of both. the more dog-like prints look much fresher(brand new almost) than the more cat-like ones, possibly 24-48hrs.

wish i had a little measuring tape with me. the big prints really were pretty big.

if anyone is out on the lex wma theres a map pic on my site shows where they are, there's a forked stick jammed in the mud where the big prints can be found.

Droberts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been looking at them on your blog and most of the pics clearly look like dog...but at least one looks vaguely cat-ish. Can't tell if it's the soft mud making it distorted or if you have pics of both dog and cat tracks. Or if I'm blind.

Cat tracks have two lobes in on the front of the pad (dog has one), three lobes on the back (dog has two), and the front two toes don't line up side by side like a dog. The pics I can see clearly have one front lobe, two back, and the toe shape and alignment looks like a dog. A couple I can't see well enough.

yea i see it what you're talking about. definitely some pics of clipped toe nails in there.

think this one is a dog too?
toes spread out, teardrop shape instead of oval, retracted or clipped claw/nails, four inches across. even if they're all dogs i hope ya'll can see what led me to think they're kitty cat. looks an aweful lot like a front cougar paw.
dproberts.files.wordpress.com_2012_04_20120420_122933.jpg

Last edited:

Droberts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i really hate that leaf.

unrelated note, had to take the wife home from work & there were turkeys out back behind the house in the woods(we're on 2.3acres). i had to go back to work. /facepalm.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere there is somebody giggling about how taking there male and smaller female labs out to run around and play. They are probably indoor dogs treated better than some kids and have been de clawed and probably get weekly baths.

Latest posts

Top Bottom