mountain lion tracks @ Lexington WMA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droberts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got a call back from Eric. Said he can definitely see the 3 lobed paw on the back shot of the pic with the arrow in it, he's convinced its a kitty.

I'm meeting some ok wildlife personnel down there tomorrow after work to show them the site.

Should have some better pictures with measurements for ya'll tomorrow evening, exciting stuff.

link to the pics from the OP

got an email followup as well, ignore the sonogram part - reference to impending fatherhood.

David,

The tracks with the arrow appear to be cat tracks to me. It looks like there's a 10 % chance of rain tonight so let's continue to plan and meet tomorrow. I really appreciate you sending this information for confirmation. I also want to commend you for your research efforts to identify the tracks on you blog. I particularly like the beartracker site and the Michigan site I have looked at them in the past.

Good luck with the sonogram always exciting!

Erik

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is why I withheld my opinion. I could see some similarity's, but as stated before, couldn't give an opinion.
You stuck to your guns, and continued to produce evidence.
Hopefully this will result in one more confirmed sighting.

BTW, congrats on the future child. :D

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
congrats on the followup work. i have a lease north of crescent and the property has an off shoot of "crow creek" which i believe comes off of the bigger "skeleton creek". i took pics of what i still believe to be cat tracks years ago. they were as wide as my palm in thin silt on a trail. i contacted the then gw of logan county,won't mention his name,but some will know who i'm talking about. he was so condescending, even asking me if i had been drinking that day and telling me it was a figment of my imagination,that i never followed uip any further.

great detective work and i hopw it turns out to be a lion.

Droberts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
allllrighty so here's the results.

sadly the mud had completely dried up & cracked all over the place. even shrunk it was still over 4 inches. They said the last verified mountain lion track they had looked at fit within the palm of Erik's hand, this one even shrunk up in the dried mud was wider than the width of his palm.
This is the rear track in the photo with the arrow.
dproberts.files.wordpress.com_2012_04_20120427_215032.jpg

wildlife folks hard at work taking pictures and making plaster moldings of the prints. many pictures were taken & 3 molds were made.
dproberts.files.wordpress.com_2012_04_20120427_215127.jpg

So here's the official verdict: DOG!

And here's the official explanation for saying its dog prints:
The the 3 lobes on the print were caused by a saint bernard walking like a cat paw over paw for some reason instead of side by side like a normal dog. This created an overlapping main paw resulting in what appears to be 3 lobes. The only dog on the planet large enough to produce a print that size is a saint bernard or a very large english mastiff. Since no toenails were present on the print it can be assumed it was toenail-less.

And there you have it. A nailess saint bernard that walks like a cat.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
What a scientifically proven let down....................................but I applaud you for doing it the right way. They quest continues I guess, who can be the first OSA member to find legit mountain lion tracks.(in Oklahoma)

Latest posts

Top Bottom