Mountain Lion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that's the one where the hound hunters from Colorado "accidentally" crossed over into Oklahoma while chasing one.

I don't know how the specifics of that one went, but yeah, it's the one hound hunters killed.

Before the law was changed the ODWC and the wardens themselves used to get calls like "Can I shoot this gotdam mountain lion that's eating my goats/chickens/house cats/grandchildren? I see the sumbitch errday."

When they changed the law to allow this very thing, no dead cats turn up anywhere.

But I bet less than one in ten "sightings" turn out to be legit.

Yeah, I know they exist. We all know they are here. We have confirmed sigtings/reports/dead cats from every quadrant of the state now.

But I know there are damn few of them, and they don't behave in the way many people describe in their sightings. When I was more of a dick about this subject I put up cash into the several thousand dollar range to at least a few people in NE Oklahoma if they could show me a confirmed picture, carcass, or in a couple cases, just tracks. Nobody ever came to collect.

rjbrooks7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't mean to sound like a douche, but please contemplate the logistics of hunting and killing this animal before you attempt. If you try to bait and stalk at night, she will probably be sitting within 10 feet of you in the dark and you will never know it. Her tactical advantages over you in the dark are overwhelming. You won't see or hear this cat ever. You won't be able to smell this cat. You won't be able to bait or outsmart this cat. You won't be able to find this cat during the day, either.

Maybe a pack of hounds could hunt it, but at that point, the cat will feel threatened and becomes exponentially more dangerous, jeopardizing the dogs, and especially yourself and anyone else around. This is a predator at the top of the food chain.

I'm just simply suggesting that you carefully consider everything before attempting to hunt big cats.

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't mean to sound like a douche, but please contemplate the logistics of hunting and killing this animal before you attempt. If you try to bait and stalk at night, she will probably be sitting within 10 feet of you in the dark and you will never know it. Her tactical advantages over you in the dark are overwhelming. You won't see or hear this cat ever. You won't be able to smell this cat. You won't be able to bait or outsmart this cat. You won't be able to find this cat during the day, either.

Maybe a pack of hounds could hunt it, but at that point, the cat will feel threatened and becomes exponentially more dangerous, jeopardizing the dogs, and especially yourself and anyone else around. This is a predator at the top of the food chain.

I'm just simply suggesting that you carefully consider everything before attempting to hunt big cats.

I appreciate the info and am very aware of the danger, I will not be doing this by myself and I have my doubts that I will be successful in the hunt but if I can deter the animal from bothering the livestock any longer then that's the real goal. As awesome as it would be to take this big cat I hate to kill something that we have so few of. I'm first and foremost and outdoors man and animal lover and second a hunter. I have a few friends that I regularly predator hunt with and will take them with me because I absolutely do not want to be caught by surprise by myself.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But I know there are damn few of them, and they don't behave in the way many people describe in their sightings. When I was more of a dick about this subject I put up cash into the several thousand dollar range to at least a few people in NE Oklahoma if they could show me a confirmed picture, carcass, or in a couple cases, just tracks. Nobody ever came to collect.

I feel the same way about this, and would like to be a Richard about it most the time I hear the report of one. People see what they want to see, or if they don't know what it is they are seeing, oh, it is a mountain lion. And as we all know, as soon as someone reports a black one, their credibility goes to zero. If the actual numbers coincided with the number of reports, we'd get lots more of them on game cams, auto collisions, etc. But that isn't the case.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel the same way about this, and would like to be a Richard about it most the time I hear the report of one. People see what they want to see, or if they don't know what it is they are seeing, oh, it is a mountain lion. And as we all know, as soon as someone reports a black one, their credibility goes to zero. If the actual numbers coincided with the number of reports, we'd get lots more of them on game cams, auto collisions, etc. But that isn't the case.
Very true....A guy Dennis and I work with saw a track behind his house and told me it had to be a BLACK panther..now that is a good tracker...can look at the track and tell the color of the foot that made it..

TulsaGeoff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Apparently there is a big cat in my GF's parent's subdivision in Owasso... I believe it is a mountain lion and has killed several of the deer in that area.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I appreciate the info and am very aware of the danger, I will not be doing this by myself and I have my doubts that I will be successful in the hunt but if I can deter the animal from bothering the livestock any longer then that's the real goal. As awesome as it would be to take this big cat I hate to kill something that we have so few of. I'm first and foremost and outdoors man and animal lover and second a hunter. I have a few friends that I regularly predator hunt with and will take them with me because I absolutely do not want to be caught by surprise by myself.

Just don't watch "Ghost and the Darkness" before you go out:)

C

coythtr

Didn't happen to be around Stone Bluff - Lenard area did it? 2 weeks or so ago?
I recieved the same call.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom