Mountain Lion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There have only been 2 cats shot in Oklahoma, and both were in Cimmaron county. You have better odds of shooting a state record deer.

Something to mull over while pondering what you're gonna buy when you win the lottery.

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There have only been 2 cats shot in Oklahoma, and both were in Cimmaron county. You have better odds of shooting a state record deer.

Something to mull over while pondering what you're gonna buy when you win the lottery.

Either I know one of the guys who have shot one or there have been more than 2 taken. I believe it was 1996 I was hunting with my dad and his friends on their lease in Pawnee county and one of the other guys was sitting in a ground blind, the mountain lion came up behind him and he was forced to shoot the animal. I remember this very vividly. I do know that we called the game warden. We had a deer in the bed of the truck so we left to take it to the processor so I do not remember what he did with the animal I'll have to call him and ask.

I hear so many rumors, myths, and flat out lies about some of the predators we have in Oklahoma. I know people who have lived in this state their entire lives and have never heard nor seen even a bobcat yet I've seen two mountain lions in Creek county.

And no as far as I have been told the lion on this property is not black. :hithead:

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Recent records anyways. Dunno if they kept close records before this.

The only documented cases of mountain lions in Oklahoma since 2004 are:

2004 - Radio collared male killed by train near Red Rock, Oklahoma. Came from the Black Hills of South Dakota.
2006 – Cimarron Co. was depredating on an individual’s goats and was killed. Male
2009 – Tillman Co along Red River seen on trail cam on private land. Sex unknown
2009 – Atoka Co. trail cam photo on private land. Sex unknown
2010 – Cimarron Co. lion killed by hunters Male
2010 – Texas Co. Radio collared male released by Colorado Division of Wildlife in North Central Colorado on October 30, 2009 on April 3rd it walked into Oklahoma panhandle. It is now in Northeastern New Mexico.
2011 - Female captured in Tulsa, OK DNA -linked to Black Hills of South Dakota, showed no signs of reproduction.
July 2011 - Unknown sex - Trailcam photo North of Sand Springs Oklahoma.
Oct. 12, 2011 – Osage County - Trailcam photo – Sex unkown – Most likely same animal from July trailcam photo
Oct. 26, 2011 – Osage County – Trailcam Photo – Sex Unkown - Most likely same animal from July trailcam photo
Nov. 8, 2011 - Sub-Adult Male - Minco, Oklahoma hit by motorist on Hwy 81

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/hunting/mlion_sight.htm

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's difficult now to get them to even admit these animals exist in our state.

It is clear they exist in our state. It is on the ODWC website, there are regulations for legal taking, and documented cases. No one in the ODWC denies their existance. But I bet less than one in ten "sightings" turn out to be legit. Maybe ten years ago they wouldn't admit it quite as much, but there is too much proof now. The denial is as much rumor as the ODWC releasing cats.

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It is clear they exist in our state. It is on the ODWC website, there are regulations for legal taking, and documented cases. No one in the ODWC denies their existance. But I bet less than one in ten "sightings" turn out to be legit.

Ever called a game warden about it? They will tell you that you do not have one on your property even if you have tracks and have seen them.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ever called a game warden about it? They will tell you that you do not have one on your property even if you have tracks and have seen them.

Because 99% of the people who report one have actually seen a dog or a bobcat and have let their imagination get the better of them. The game wardens are rightfully skeptical.

Latest posts

Top Bottom