Mountain Lion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Long story short a friend of mine has had her horse attacked by a mountain lion, she says she has seen two of them on the the property and had a new dusk to dawn light installed on the barn and a radio playing 24/7 to attempt and deter the cats but it's been unsuccessful.

Here is the question, can I hunt these animals legally, my understanding is that they can only be taken when endangering person or property and obviously they are attacking the livestock but the lingo on the wildlife website is as always complicated.

TonerGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would contact the game warden in the area where she lives and ask him how to best handle it but, if SHE feels threatened then that should be legal enough reason to shoot the cat if it's on her property. Then call the game warden to come and get it or pull a tooth.........

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How would they know if you shot one?

you could shoot deer without anyone knowing as well, but its not right, and i would think that most people on here would rather do things the legal way. otherwise, as luck would have it, the one time you shoot something illegally is probably the time you will get busted. just not worth the risk.

call the local game warden and explain the situation. im sure he will understand.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whatever you do, cover your ass. That isn't something you want to get caught givin a killin to without a legitimate reason. And by legitimate, I mean legitimate to those that will write you a ticket. In my experience game wardens are pretty sympathetic towards farmers and ranchers, and if there is a legitimate problem, they're not going to turn you down, especially if you have proof the Mt. Lion is on the property and a threat to livestock. Just catching sight of one is not justification to be shot, but everyone has the right to protect their stock from predators, regardless if you find a grumpy game warden that happens to not give you permission to shoot it. In that case, just follow the 3 S rule.

From the regs:
Mountain lions can be taken year-round when committing or about to commit depredation on any domesticated animal or when deemed an immediate safety hazard.

Individuals who kill a mountain lion must immediately call a game warden or other Department employee.

The carcass (including hide) will be examined by a Department employee within 24 hours for biological data collection, which may include the removal of a tooth.

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Whatever you do, cover your ass. That isn't something you want to get caught givin a killin to without a legitimate reason. And by legitimate, I mean legitimate to those that will write you a ticket. In my experience game wardens are pretty sympathetic towards farmers and ranchers, and if there is a legitimate problem, they're not going to turn you down, especially if you have proof the Mt. Lion is on the property and a threat to livestock. Just catching sight of one is not justification to be shot, but everyone has the right to protect their stock from predators, regardless if you find a grumpy game warden that happens to not give you permission to shoot it. In that case, just follow the 3 S rule.

From the regs:
Mountain lions can be taken year-round when committing or about to commit depredation on any domesticated animal or when deemed an immediate safety hazard.

Individuals who kill a mountain lion must immediately call a game warden or other Department employee.

The carcass (including hide) will be examined by a Department employee within 24 hours for biological data collection, which may include the removal of a tooth.

I'm glad to see this worded this way, the way I understood it was that they would take the animal. I already had visions of this big cat full body mount in my living room scaring our house cat.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could be mistaken, but GW I talked to in western Oklahoma told me you cannot mount the Mt Lion, it must be buried on the property. I would imagine that is to keep people that have located a ML from shooting it, just so they can get a mount, even though it was "supposedly" in their chicken house or whatnot. But, as always, don't believe anything you hear secondhand from me or anyone else. Always go to your local GW.

Latest posts

Top Bottom