Multitool Knife Steels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Question for you guys on knife steels. I have been a diehard Victorinox guy as long as I can remember but I’m thinking about making a change. This past weekend I sharpened the end of a dry stick about as big around as my finger with my Swiss Tinker and I was really surprised at how quickly it dulled. Now after poking around a bit online apparently Leatherman has something similar to offer with their Free T4. Now not wanting to get into another steel that would give the same results I looked into what each knife blade was made of and found the Victorinox uses a 316L steel with an HR”B” of 95 while the Leatherman uses a 420HC steel with a HR”C” of 55. Of course!!!! Couldn’t use the same scale so I’d be able to figure this out. 🤬🤬 My question to you is how do these two steels compare with one another? Can ya help a brother out??
IMG_7907.jpeg
IMG_7906.jpeg

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
those hardness call outs are Rockwell hardness. B scale on one and C scale on the other. C scale is for harder materials. Most good quality knives will be around 60 HRC. I will see if I can find the chart but best I recall 100 on the B scale is about 22 on a C scale. So that 55 C scale is going to be twice as durable as the 95 on the B acale. And MM is correct. 316 is not generally used for any kind of cutting steel.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
95 B is equal to 16 C. So about 1/3rd the hardness.

For a little reference. AR steel or abrasion resistance steel is measure on the Brinell scale. So AR 400 or AR 500 is their hardness value on the Brinell scale or HBW. HBW 500 is equal to about 51 Rockwell C scale.

Where 4140 alloy steel or 420 stainless steel that is used for gun barrels is about 230 HBW.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most stainless steel watch cases are made from 316L stainless steel. Not very hard. Will pick up dings and dents without too much fuss. While that may be just fine and par for the course on a watch case, I wouldn't have thought that a major knife manufacturer would use that same alloy on a knife blade.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think the victorinox is 316 steel. Maybe the liners are. It's really not bad stuff. Going to hold an edge about like any lower end knife steel. If the stick was dirty, just about any knife will dull pretty quickly. All of them lose their shaving sharp quickly. I have used most popular steels.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First thanks for everyone’s responses. Since I started this thread i’ve conducting a pretty exhaustive search and I’ve come to the realization that what I’m looking for really doesn’t exist. Didn’t know that all the small multi tools and even the Free T4 are 2-3 times the size of what I’m used to and for my goal of pocket carry that won’t cut the mustard. I always keep a good fixed blade in my car kit which was 20’ away…..I’d have grabbed it if I’d known what a little whittling would have done to the SAK’s edge. It’s always done what I asked if it and it really wasn’t dull, just wouldn’t cut cleanly when I tried to open the marshmallow bag for the s’mores, hence the need for the stick. 😉

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First thanks for everyone’s responses. Since I started this thread i’ve conducting a pretty exhaustive search and I’ve come to the realization that what I’m looking for really doesn’t exist. Didn’t know that all the small multi tools and even the Free T4 are 2-3 times the size of what I’m used to and for my goal of pocket carry that won’t cut the mustard. I always keep a good fixed blade in my car kit which was 20’ away…..I’d have grabbed it if I’d known what a little whittling would have done to the SAK’s edge. It’s always done what I asked if it and it really wasn’t dull, just wouldn’t cut cleanly when I tried to open the marshmallow bag for the s’mores, hence the need for the stick. 😉
You could add one of those credit card size diamond plates in extra fine with a piece of leather glued to the back to your kit. I've used just about all the high end steels and at the end of the day, being able to bring it back quickly is about just as good as crazy edge holding for me. There are so many variables in every day use.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m surprised that you found a steel spec for SAK. My understanding was that Victorinox uses a proprietary steel on their knives and doesn’t publish its specs. Of course, I’ve never gone looking, so I can neither confirm nor deny that assertion.

From what I’ve heard, it is a relatively soft stainless, so it’s easy to sharpen, but doesn’t hold an edge well. Mine have been really good at holding edges, but I only use them for trimming broken fingernails—for any harder use, I go for one of the “real” knives I carry, usually with an S35VN, S90N, or Magnacut blade.

Latest posts

Top Bottom