Muzzle Loader Question - Blackhorn powder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not know if this is the right area in OKS to post this question, but will roll the dice thinking it might be.

Here is the deal, earlier this year I started using blackthorn from all the good reviews. I like it quite a bit and it seems to shoot straight and is very easy to clean up for a ML. What is odd about it, the powder expands after I put it in the measuring vials. I have noticed this in the past but did a little test today to see if I am crazy.

My wife thinks that I am crazy but anyway, here is what happened. Around 2:00 today during a boring conference call, I filled six sealed vials with exactly 90 grains of powder. I just went and checked the vials and now they have approximately 98 grains of powder in the tubes. They obviously are expanding while out of the Blackthorn container which I don't know why because the containers are sealed that the charges are in now. Anyone else ever notice this or do I just have a bad batch?

My next question is, what do I use for my charge? I originally measured it to 90 grains and do I use that now even though it is at 98 grains or do I dump some back in the bottle?

Thoughts?

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is an example and when I filled it, it was definitely on 90 grains:

Attachments

• tempImageQ0geGO.png
    tempImageQ0geGO.png
    17.4 MB

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve had similar results. I didn’t measure the expansion like you were able to, but every extra shot I’ve ever measured after the season has not gone back into the 90gr by volume measurer that I poured it from originally. It’s all gone bang and hit where it was supposed to every time though. I personally wouldn’t worry over too much, but it is interesting. Soaking up humidity maybe?

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve had similar results. I didn’t measure the expansion like you were able to, but every extra shot I’ve ever measured after the season has not gone back into the 90gr by volume measurer that I poured it from originally. It’s all gone bang and hit where it was supposed to every time though. I personally wouldn’t worry over too much, but it is interesting. Soaking up humidity maybe?
Would you dump some out for this weekend or just load as is?

Latest posts

Top Bottom