Muzzleloader choices?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just looking for opinions on muzzleloader choices on the market right now. I presently have an old sidelock that was passed down from my deceased father-in-law, which I plan on taking a deer with this year before putting it up. I plan on buying new before next year, and was curious about everyone's input. I'm looking on staying at $300 and down range, but may end up going higher a little. So CVA,Traditions, T/C, something else? Anyone tried those with electronic ignition? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think you could go wrong with TC. I've known people with CVAs and never really heard any complaints. I don't know much about Traditions.

With the TC you will be pushing it to stay in your $300 range, but they seem to be a quality gun with decent customer service.

Any of the three will work, but the hard part is working up the right load for them. I would also recommend getting one with the inline 209 primer ignition, but make sure you use 209 primers made for a muzzleloader and not a shotgun shell. The 209 muzzleloader primers will give you more consistent shots and a cleaner barrel.

Good luck.

two-click

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have owned several T/C,I have had some problems with them( mostly accuracy )Just bought the Triumph it's OK but not as good as I hoped.I've never tried one but if I was going to do it over I would try the CVA Apex and see what would happen.

Clean Harry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a CVA sidelock that I built from a kit back in '86 tha tI really liked but I have put it up. i have had a Traditions bolt action in-line for the past 10 years and have never had any problems with it. I converted it to 209 about 6 years ago and it likes that even better. I like both of my smoke poles. TC is also good and if I ever get another muzzleloader it'll probably be a break open type that I can interchange a varmint calibre barrel or something like that.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been shooting the same knight inline for 20 years and it is great for accuracy. I still use musket caps. It has always grouped about tennis ball at 150 yrds with 2 50 grain pyrodex pellets and barnes 250 gr. hp sabots.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
T/C encore. I've been using one for around ten years and have killed more deer with it than with my rifle. I love it and would recommend it to anyone!

twocan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a TC omega. I do not like it. I had a knight before the omega that i also did not like. The knight 209 primer always stuck, and i mean stuck! I had to drill it out a few times. I had a CVA traditional style before them that i injoyed. They all shot good but the CVA shot good clean as well as dirty. This omega's 2nd shot is 2 inches off from the first shot. But 2nd 3rd and 4th are all right there. I hunt with it dirty all week. Buy a used one. Think about it, how many rounds can a used one have down the tube?

Paulinok

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
IF you buy a used muzzleloader BEWARE! I've seen people leave them loaded after they went hunting all year! They'd bring it to us and say " Its loaded and I don't know how to get the bullet out" We'd ask when they loaded it...
and they'd say "last year" All I'm saying is that if you buy a used one, inspect it really well.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I was thinking that I heard that Knight went out of business. Anybody know about this? Just curious before I consider buying one, for warranty, etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom