Muzzleloader choices?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Knight is out of business and parts may be hard to come by. My brother told me this weekend to watch for some of the red discs for his rifle.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CVA. They make high quality stuff that they could sell for more money than they do. Wide range of options as well. You can spend anywhere from $150 to $500 dollars. Me, my step dad, and my brother in law all hunt with CVAs. I would recommend them to anyone.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would also recommend getting one with the inline 209 primer ignition, but make sure you use 209 primers made for a muzzleloader and not a shotgun shell. The 209 muzzleloader primers will give you more consistent shots and a cleaner barrel.

Good luck.

?? I've never heard this before. But then again I've never had anything but 100% sucess with shotgun primers. Is there a link somewhere on this. I'm not opposed to being educated.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been shooting the same knight inline for 20 years and it is great for accuracy. I used musket caps. It has always grouped about tennis ball at 150 yrds with 2 50 grain pyrodex pellets and barnes 250 gr. hp sabots.

I owned an MK-85 that I ordered from Tony Knight when he was still selling and building them from his own business. He was even answering his own phone at the time, and got to talk to him with a question I had. I also used musket caps and got good groups from tennis ball to golf ball. Beautiful gun with a green lanimated stock and stainless barrel.

It got stolen with a lot of other guns about 5 years ago, and I had to get back into the market and see which I wanted.
Every time I was browsing the net, a site kept showing up, and finally found a web site for Savage MZ.

Its basically a site for wildcatters and they have done some amazing things with the Savage. The action is so strong, that EVERY barrel is pressure tested to 100,000PSI, vs. the others that are built overseas, and do not offer any proof testing.

I bought one, and have been nothing but satisfied with it. You can buy one from Natchez.com across the counter and have it delivered to your house without a FFL. I don't do the wildcatter thing, but with a standard load, the gun will launch a 250 grain Hornady SST at 2300 FPS. Same weight and velocity of a .416 Rixby elelphant gun. Kicks like a mule, but you only need one shot. You do have to use a special Hi Pressure sabot as the ones you get with the BP bullets will melt. they are cheap.

Whatever you get make sure you get a good one, as I've had some that wouldn't put a bullet into a 24" circle. The old saying that you get what you pay for kind of holds true.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_savage5.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_savage3.jpg

Here are the groups I get out of the gun:

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_target1.jpg

I've shot a deer out to 175 yds with it, and they don't go far.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a New England Firearms Sidekick. I think I gave $200 2 years ago. I get 1.25" groups @ 100 yards. only powder/bullet combo I have ever used was 100gr Pyrodex pellets and Precision Rifle 195gr sabot. they make another package called the Handi-Rifle that has interchangeable barrels like T/C.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
knight disc elite .50 cal have the reputation for being one of the most accurate of all muzzle loaders.

put a decent scope on it... for all practical purposes, no difference between knight disc elite and regular deer rifle.

Underclocked

New to the site!
Reaction score
For a muzzleloader (no cf switch barrel), the CVA Accura is hard to beat. Excellent accuracy from mine.

In a switch barrel model, the new Apex is outstanding. A bit heavier than an Accura and comes with no fixed sights. http://www.sunrisearchery.com/Apex.htm - my write up.

Yesterday's best 3-shot group.
ai37.tinypic.com_207rt7d.jpg

ps: if you are shooting Blackhorn, you don't want to mess with 209 primers that are "designed for muzzleloaders". You will need a full strength primer such as the Fed 209A or Win 209A. I personally believe those reduced power "designed for muzzleloaders" 209 primers are a waste of money, even though some users occasionally report less crud ring with Triple Se7en powder.

Diggerman

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot a Savage in-line. Super accurate and the best thing is it shoots smokeless powder. No mess, no cleanup. My load of 34 grains of 2400 makes around 2300 f.p.s. and 3200 ft. lbs. Did I say it was accurate?:thumbup3:

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well, my two cents worth. we have shot knight, traditions, and cva. none of them real expensive. all of ours pattern well at 100. on the traditions model the primer is hard to remove. this problem is not 'make' dependent but 'model' dependent.

i don't have the break open model but i think it would be handy.

u can find them cheap at pawn shops and we got a good deal on my knight .45 at bass pro close out.

my .45 knight is on at 100 and 12-14 inches low at 200.

if you are going to hunt up to 100 yards many rifles will work. if you are going to hunt up to 200 yards then i think you are going to need a good gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom