my math and 2300 rounds of 45acp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been building some 45acp today and my stash is now up to 2300 rounds.
I gave a couple hundred away a couple weeks ago to a friend. And shot a hundred at the range.

Anyway i did the math and to make 2300 rounds it cost me $132 bucks actually less than that as a lot of my lead was free.

Anyway a 500 count box of 22 ammo would need to cost $28.50 out the door to be the same price per round that i made my 45acp for.
Still waiting on my 45acp carbine!
I have a couple hundred 45 cases left that are empty and more than 800 projectiles waiting to be loaded.
Gotta love the Lee six holers.

Happy Fathers Day guys!

OldArmy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where are you sourcing your lead? I'm starting to look into reloading. Buying 750+ rounds of .45acp has taken me a little bit. If you are making your own for so little, I have got to change how I am going about obtaining ammo.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have traded 22 ammo for lead.
I have removed showers and retrieved the lead pan under it.
I have traded the ability to make sinkers to plumbers who get me scrap sewer pipe.
I have purchased many hundreds of lbs of wheel weights from 50cents a pound to 80 cents a lb.
Only once did i pay 80.
As a kid i would walk the streets or ride my bicycle and hit all the major intersections and get plenty of lead to make my own sinkers.
I have been casting since i was 14. many many moons ago.

Used to get free wheel weights from a buddy at ford, those days are over.
You can make a bullet trap and get your lead back.
I have picked up range bullets and melted those back into bullets.

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sweet, It never dawned on me about the people that cast may be willing to trade, I just threw out a good sized lead pan, in fact im going to a job now that has some lead pipe that will be scraped with the rest of the iron on the job.. let me know if you are interested if you come out this way anytime .... or maybe I should start a thread for lead scraps? I come across it frequently.. dont know whats involved in casting but i do have a kiln and this has really got me thinking I should be loading also... but there is a lot to learn and i have a lot of unfinished projects as it is, im sure the wife would love to see me dive into a reloading project...
Anyhow let me know ..

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep trading is good I traded a couple boxes of 40s&w for a 5 gallon bucket of lead wheel weights and another time i got like 40 or 45 lbs of lead ingots for a 555 count box of 22LR.
Keep that lead and scrap iron and other metals ..good trading material.
I never make it to tulsa though .. I bet others here will.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
found a pile of lead roof vents that were being scrapped a construction site. asked the foreman about them and he said take all i wanted. i was in a hurry so by the time i got back there were only six left but still a score!
casting is the only way i can afford to shoot whenever i want. that said, i'mm off to the gun club...

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Heck, just be prepared when you find a deal, or ask venders what it would take to get a break or barter with them if you do not smelt. Bartering always good, and it doesn't always have to be gun related.

Latest posts

Top Bottom