My new AR build is short stroking.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Does it have a rifle buffer? Looking at that A2 stock, I would bet it does.

Carbine gas system with a rifle length buffer shouldn't cause a problem, but....

If you have a buddy with a carbine buffer/lower/extension set up, you could swap lowers and see if she still short strokes.

That'd be pretty unreal if that's what it was. I ran a mid-gas 16" (Del-Ton barrel) with A2 buffer system reliably.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have a low gas pressure problem.
Start at the front and work your way back.

Note: if you dont have the tools or means to check these items take it to some body who does.

Alignment and measurement of the gas block and barrel port size.
Obstruction and alignment of the gas tube.
Gas key seal at tube interface and bcg interface.
Gas rings on bolt for wear.

If all that checks out and you have a 5.56 chamber load a magazine with one round of 5.56 like m193 or m885 and shoot to see if the bolt locks back. Go ahead and verify with a couple more repeats of this test if the first test was a go then load up a mag and do it again.

If the gun is operating correctly now try the lower power ammo.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fixed it. The gas block was slightly off. Took ALL of your GREAT advice and fixed myself with a "slight" tweeking of the darn gas block. Thanks guys. I appreciate the help.

Mike

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing. But maybe a buffer recommendation for a 14.5" midlength gas with collapsible stock with shortstroke issue. Gas port is good, currently have H buffer which seemed to be the most used with that combo from posts online, still short though. Maybe something else isn't right or just have an oddity with my rifle?

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing. But maybe a buffer recommendation for a 14.5" midlength gas with collapsible stock with shortstroke issue. Gas port is good, currently have H buffer which seemed to be the most used with that combo from posts online, still short though. Maybe something else isn't right or just have an oddity with my rifle?

gimme some more details.

is it a manufacturer built upper? Who?
type of BCG
Type of ammo.
chambered for?
anything aftermarket on upper or with the buffer spring/buffer.

Oh, and how many rounds through the setup?

Last edited:

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Upper, BCG are new BCM, Federal XM193, 5.56 chamber, BCM mod 4 CH, AAC blackout, Troy VTAC 13", Milspec receiver extension, Magpul MOE stock, Troy Iron sights. Buffer and spring were purchased from BCM as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom