My new GSG 1911-22 range report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just got one of these pistols on sale for $246, shipped, from Palmetto State Armory. I also got 2 extra mags from CDDN for $20 each. Took her out this morning and fired 710 rounds. Yes; that's right; 710 rounds over the course of a long, hot, but awesome time shooting this very nice 1911-22. Out of all 710; I had just 1 problem; 1 round failed to feed; it went nose up on me as it tried to chamber, and that was a CCI standard velocity lead RN boolet. Imma chalk it up to a bad round...I spent a great morning making steel go ping and bowling pins swing! Of the 710, the first 250 were CCI 40 gr mini mag RN and the rest was an assortment: CCI Standard, a few CCI Stingers, Fed 36 gr hp, (both red box and blue box), Aguila 40 gr, some regular old cheap Blazers, she even digested a bunch of crappy old Rem Golden Turdos! I punched the bore a few times and wiped off the bolt face and extractor as well a time or 2. I cleaned her up last night, used grease on the rails and oil on the rest of her. I did break it in pretty wet and she is 1 dirty pistol right now for sure. I'm very pleased with this gun! This GSG has been one of my best buys in a long long time. If you like 1911 pistols, the GSG might be a good low cost trainer to consider. Im a happy guy with mine that's for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought one during the recent PSA sale as well. Runs fine, but shoots about 6" high at 25yd. Already has the tall front sight blade in it and haven't messed with shaving the rear sight yet. For the time being, I'm using the 6 O'Clock POA to hit regular targets. Good pistol for the price.
PS- Got the rebate confirmation email. Whenever the check actually comes in, it'll buy a mag or two.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finally found some .22 ammo this pistol didn't like: Crap Winchester in the 525 white bulk pack. Boatload of FTF; FTE; stovepipes; light strikes. But that's not all - my uber reliable Ruger MK III wouldnt run the Winchester crap worth a damn either. About the same dismal performance in both guns with this junk ammo.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
UPDATE: The damn think broke. But, hey, everything eventually breaks, right? Anyway, while I was shooting it, the gun just quit on me...inspection showed me that the top front hood of the bolt had broken clean off and then the firing pin and safety plunger was able to pop up and break too. Dang. I detail stripped the pistol and looked at the detailed schematic and parts list in my owners manual. Gave ATI (American Tactical Imports) a call and told them what happened...the gun has a two-year warranty...and they are sending me a new bolt, firing pin, an safety plunger at no charge. This is my second time to deal with ATI customer service and both times, they have been courteous and prompt. I have heavily modded this pistol with everything CW Accessories makes for it plus replaced a few things with standard 1911 parts like a new rear sight, trigger, sear, disconnect and sear spring. The gun is a great shooter, very accurate, not ammo sensitive, and a lot of fun. I'll be back in bidness with her soon!

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And she's fixed. ATI shipped the parts to me at no charge via FedEx. Took about 20 minutes to get everything lined up, installed and back together. This has been a heckuva fun little pistol, I see many more thousand rounds going through her too.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ran about 150 rounds through the GSG 1911-22 today and damn if I wasn't just as pleased as I could be. I have got way more than my money's worth with this gun; I've put about all the upgrades one can get on it, it's ugly as sin, the finish is totally gone on it, but man oh man can it shoot!

Latest posts

Top Bottom