My SKS & Me...an adventure in the making!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noober1

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
-1 What are the best accessories for the SKS?

-2 Where is the best place to by bulk ammo and don't just say the internet.....

-3 Can you convert your NORINCO SKS to take AK magazines?

-4 Are you jealous mine's probably bigger than yours?:hey3:

Reaction score
Best accessory is probably a Tech sight. Don't need much else. http://www.tech-sights.com/

#2 Hmmm, ammoman.com used to have good prices on bulk. Occasionally even Academy does in 762/39.

#3 - I dunno, but sure, with enough money thrown at it, you can do just about anything. People have done this before. Not worth it in my view. Destroy the collector value and gain little if anything. Keep the SKS stock or nearly stock, and add an AK later - AKs are cheap. If you must, a duckbill mag or two - that allows you to convert it back to stock.

#4 - umm, sure, why not.

:D

Cue

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most places are running the yugo brass cased stuff for 199.99 per 1000.

You have to be careful modifying an SKS. Once you change out some parts, they you need to be 922r compliant.

RangerRandP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. Nothing for me, but many people seem to believe that the Tapco 20 rounds magazines are the best high cap mags. Also I have seen the Tapco 6 position stock. Looks pretty good. Other then that Don't change it you are most likly asking for trouble.

2. Aimsurplus.com has Wolf 7.62x39 for 200 pre 1000 plus shipping.

3. Like above. You can, but not worth the time and money. Buy and AK.

4. I couldn't care less.

And 922r is the import laws requiring to have a certain amount of US made parts on an imported gun to be legal.

Check this out to help a little. http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildSKSVerifyCompliance

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't try the mag swap. when tapco 20's work perfectly, with only removing the factory mag. All distributors have cheap...$200 ammo by the case. Norinco's are great guns, chrome lined bore and all. If you like the look a good cheap folding stock might be fun. These are around $40. Tapco has all kind of stocks but the collapsabile, etc can be upto $150.

Reaction score
To clarify: What ranger and sgrock are saying there, about Tapco mags, has ZERO to do with making the gun accept AK mags - they're talking about Tapco as one maker of the "duckbill mags" which I mentioned in #3.

I believe to stay 922(r) compliant, the mag needs to be wholly-US made - having a US made body, follower and spring - is that right guys? Or do you have to add other US Parts? I don't worry about 922(r) myself - the g-men can suck it - it's called Heller and "shall not be infringed"; learn about it, batfe. 'Course, I don't have an SKS anymore, either. :)

okie headhunter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like fire sight and butler creek makes a good folding stock. I went back to my stock mag, and just use striper clips. the duckbills worked great at first but as they got some ware on them they got unrelyable. it was quicker to load a striper than to slap the duckbill to make it feed.
alot of folks have mag. envy. I just found that the closer to stock I kept the guns the better they shot

Latest posts

Top Bottom