National Park filming requires a permit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Federal law requires a permit for all commercial filming, no matter the size of the crew or the type of equipment. This includes individuals or small groups that don't use much equipment, but generate revenue by posting footage on websites.

My son told me even individuals posting a video to social media will need a permit.
Something in the law that he said states a park ranger needs to be present during filming.

Your tax dollars at work.

This may be old news to some of you.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Under Public Law 106-206, all commercial filming requires a permit and is subject to a location fee and cost recovery. The term “commercial filming” means the film, electronic, magnetic, digital, or other recording of a moving image by a person, business, or other entity for a market audience with the intent of generating income. Examples include, but are not limited to, feature film, videography, and documentaries and may include the use of actors, models, sets, or props. It does not include news coverage or visitor use. All commercial filming, including filming exterior locations within the park and filming within park buildings, requires a written permit.

Filming and photography – whether commercial or noncommercial – will be allowed within the park provided that the activity is consistent with the park’s purpose and does not:

• pose a potential threat to park resources
  • create an unsafe or unhealthful environment for visitors or employees
  • unreasonably interfere with park program or activities
  • unreasonably interfere with the atmosphere of peace and tranquility
  • interfere with NPS concessioner or contractor operations or services

Commercial filming in all buildings within the Park must take place during those times the buildings are closed to public visitation.

If I’m a social media influencer, do I need a permit?​

Federal law requires a permit for all commercial filming, no matter the size of the crew or the type of equipment. This includes individuals or small groups that don’t use much equipment, but generate revenue by posting footage on websites, such as YouTube and TikTok. This type of activity does not meet the criteria for Interior filming.

So, making money using the facilities, peddling “influence” on Facebook so that you can make money, or other commercial pursuits? Gotta have a permit. Just like everything else.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My truck driver son told me the "Law" was officially signed or passed 2 days ago.
Seems over the road truck drivers learn a lot of things on that radio.

L.C.

👮🏻RETIRED L.E.O.👮🏻
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_1921.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom