National Park filming requires a permit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've experienced a lot of this when traveling abroad too. Hiking the Dolomites on established trails with quite a few people but never failed we would have to stop and wait or walk around someone doing a video or taking multiple pictures/selfies just with them doing different poposes.
Had experience with this myself. Me and fishing buddy were in New Mexico hiking a trail to get to a stream we had fished many times when we ran across a couple blocking the trail for a long time. People were stopped waiting patiently till they just continued on and on, not allowing people to pass. My friend asked "How many pictures of that gorgeous sky do you need?" They replied" You cannot see the sky for all the trees", people waiting beginning to smirk. My friend replied " That's a dang shame because you would have the perfect opportunity after I knock the crap out of you laying on your back?" People waiting busted out laughing, they decided to move.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I totally support their right to not get a permit when trying to get a close up shot with a bison. Or those sweet moose.
I did not have a permit when I took that photo.
IMG_3052.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think that if most folks were to visit National Parks they would see why this rule is going into effect. Yes, I think it's directly aimed at influencers - you know, the ones who don't pay attention to the signs of not walking on the tundra so can get to a spot for a great picture, don't get close to the bison, don't feed the animals, don't get off the boardwalk path, etc....

What will be tough is enforcement. If someone isn't breaking any other park rules, how can an official determine if one is taking a pic for personal vs commercial use? Now if they are dancing in front of someone else filming while a bison is in the background, kinda easy to identify.

We've experienced a lot of this when traveling abroad too. Hiking the Dolomites on established trails with quite a few people but never failed we would have to stop and wait or walk around someone doing a video or taking multiple pictures/selfies just with them doing different poses.
When in Yellowstone, you always look for the gaggle of vehicles pulled over with people outside to spot wildlife for you.
We pulled over one time to take pics of some elk. Nothing special, just cows and calves when some guy with a camera on a tripod started screaming at the crowd to GTFO as he was filming.
Most drifted off to their vehicles and left, but looking around he was a nobody. Not Park Service personnel, and no federal employees around so the wife continued to walk down the road to take pics of the elk with her phone. She does a great job BTW.
He screamed at us a bit more and finally folded up his tripod and got in the prius to leave.
He had no more rights to be there than we did. If we screwed up his pics, so be it. Had he came over and graciously asked us he was filming a nature video and could he get some space, we would have accomateded his wishes, but screaming.....? No. Fawk him and the prius he drove in on.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is only going to get worse. The ministry of truth is taking an intense interest in managing conversation all across the web, and it goes way beyond Google censorship. For a while it's going to be hard to tell what is real or not.
AI is easy to spot now as it's perfect grammar and pronunciation. Eventually though, it will learn slang and be harder to spot.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you're passionate about filmmaking and cinematography, you might want to explore opportunities like the 1-year cinematography course offered by Cinematography Course - Prague Film Institute. It can provide valuable knowledge and skills to those looking to delve deeper into the world of film. Your tax dollars indeed contribute to preserving these beautiful locations.

How convenient! I've been looking for a cinematography course in Czechia.

Latest posts

Top Bottom