Need 9mm CCW opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a Glock G19 for my CCW and I have been looking at the M&P hard here as of late for my CCW gun. I really like it and is close in the way it breaks down as the GLOCK.

How do you like your M&P? I hear there are a few different models out what one did you pick?

The only thing that worries me on the M&P is the back strap after time will it break down or will it with stand the abuse.

I can only tell you how things were for me, but the M&P was the best trade off of ergonomics, size, felt recoil and capacity (which initially wasn't a factor as I was more concerned with size). The recoil, again, I don't know how they managed this, is surprisingly light and controllable even without the pinky extension. I ran 150 (flawless) rounds through it on the steel challenge course at USSA (which I had never been on before) and I felt far more comfortable in only that short time with the M&P than I have with any other gun I've carried. One of my main concerns was well placed follow up shots, which (for me) was a huge improvement over the KelTec - although a completely unfair comparison.

Also, S&W is running the two free mags rebate which was also a factor as it effectively dropped the price of the gun by $70-$80.

The back strap is attached via a metal rod that inserts just behind the mag well and runs through a holed protrusion on the inside of the grip. I don't see how the thing could wear out, but even if it did, I think extras would be only a phone call to S&W away.

Olympicarmsfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can only tell you how things were for me, but the M&P was the best trade off of ergonomics, size, felt recoil and capacity (which initially wasn't a factor as I was more concerned with size). The recoil, again, I don't know how they managed this, is surprisingly light and controllable even without the pinky extension. I ran 150 (flawless) rounds through it on the steel challenge course at USSA (which I had never been on before) and I felt far more comfortable in only that short time with the M&P than I have with any other gun I've carried. One of my main concerns was well placed follow up shots, which (for me) was a huge improvement over the KelTec - although a completely unfair comparison.

Also, S&W is running the two free mags rebate which was also a factor as it effectively dropped the price of the gun by $70-$80.

The back strap is attached via a metal rod that inserts just behind the mag well and runs through a holed protrusion on the inside of the grip. I don't see how the thing could wear out, but even if it did, I think extras would be only a phone call to S&W away.

Yeah I think I want more even more now. Do you know how I go about getting the two mag rebate? I really like to have one and they look good and look like they would just fit in the hand.

I like nooooo I love my Glock but I want something different and it looks like the M&P will be the ticket.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I think I want more even more now. Do you know how I go about getting the two mag rebate? I really like to have one and they look good and look like they would just fit in the hand.

I like nooooo I love my Glock but I want something different and it looks like the M&P will be the ticket.

The rebate form was given to me at the gun store, but it's available here on their website:

Rebate PDF

Just mail in a copy of the receipt and the rebate coupon and you should get back the mags you pick. Word at Sports World was that S&W was give out the mags with the extension for the subcompacts last year, I'm hoping that's what comes this year as well.

Olympicarmsfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The rebate form was given to me at the gun store, but it's available here on their website:

Rebate PDF

Just mail in a copy of the receipt and the rebate coupon and you should get back the mags you pick. Word at Sports World was that S&W was give out the mags with the extension for the subcompacts last year, I'm hoping that's what comes this year as well.

I need to email and ask my local dealer. He just opened up a few months ago and we where just talking about the M&Ps and they really like them.

These guys have owned SIGs, GLOCKs and many other top brands and when I asked what new CCW gun should I look at the first was the M&P.

Thanks I will ask them and I will see about getting one of these.

How is the trigger on them?

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The trigger pull isn't bad for a DAO, I'm not sure of the weight, but it feels reasonable enough to me, maybe around 8(?) pounds. The pull does have a different feel, sort of gritty feeling or something, but I was able to get past that quickly enough.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The trigger pull isn't bad for a DAO, I'm not sure of the weight, but it feels reasonable enough to me, maybe around 8(?) pounds. The pull does have a different feel, sort of gritty feeling or something, but I was able to get past that quickly enough.

olyeller can take care of that for you. :)

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom