Need a good independent diesel mechanic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Gotcha, I drive a 2003 12/02 build 6.0l, one of the first 6.0's out there, turned 261,000 last week, little things here and there but nothing major like so many people had, knock on wood. You have to pull the body off of the frame to do that?

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gotcha, I drive a 2003 12/02 build 6.0l, one of the first 6.0's out there, turned 261,000 last week, little things here and there but nothing major like so many people had, knock on wood. You have to pull the body off of the frame to do that?
Thats good milage with the same HPOP...those were known to be weak in the 2003. Thats one of them things you should change if you ever have the turbo off. Yeah, I lifted the cab (I have a 2 post lift in my man cave) to do head studs/gaskets and egr delete. My buddy at ford told me to replace the HPOP and IPR valve while i was there as well as a list of other hoses, belts and other small things. Well when I pulled the heads, I saw the melted piston surfaces and galled cyl. walls. I had no idea I would find that, I drove it up until the day I parked it to begin this project.
The biggest issue you may soon be facing is a clogged oil cooler from using Ford gold coolant. I would recommend you waste no time doing a complete flush using "Restore" and replace the coolant with either Rotella ELC (Red color) or CAT ELC (also red color) and consider putting a coolant filter in the system somewhere. You would be amazed how much casting sand is still in there from the factory cast of the block. A clogged oil cooler will result in a number of very expensive issues and is easy to avoid.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Thats good milage with the same HPOP...those were known to be weak in the 2003. Thats one of them things you should change if you ever have the turbo off. Yeah, I lifted the cab (I have a 2 post lift in my man cave) to do head studs/gaskets and egr delete. My buddy at ford told me to replace the HPOP and IPR valve while i was there as well as a list of other hoses, belts and other small things. Well when I pulled the heads, I saw the melted piston surfaces and galled cyl. walls. I had no idea I would find that, I drove it up until the day I parked it to begin this project.
The biggest issue you may soon be facing is a clogged oil cooler from using Ford gold coolant. I would recommend you waste no time doing a complete flush using "Restore" and replace the coolant with either Rotella ELC (Red color) or CAT ELC (also red color) and consider putting a coolant filter in the system somewhere. You would be amazed how much casting sand is still in there from the factory cast of the block. A clogged oil cooler will result in a number of very expensive issues and is easy to avoid.

Will look into those things, thanks for the insight and advise. I've been as thorough as possible with maintance so I hope it pays off. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom