need ALOT of S&W ID help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
S&W didn't have their model number system til sometime in the 50s. This particular revolver was known as a "hand ejector" and was built on the I frame.

I concur. I think it's a "Hand Ejector Model of 1903". I just don't know whether it was 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th change or if it was a 3rd model.

PM sent, I need a serial number.

JBarlow

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it 1903 or 1905? just from some internet searching not to question you guys you know more then i could ever hope to thanks for the help i may keep poping in with id questions its fun i like to learn new things
thanks guys

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it 1903 or 1905? just from some internet searching not to question you guys you know more then i could ever hope to thanks for the help i may keep poping in with id questions its fun i like to learn new things
thanks guys

As far as I know they were all considered "Hand Ejector Model of 1903" but had various changes throughout the run. They made the I frame even into the post war period before stretching it out to the J Frame. Yes, this revolver is the grand-daddy of the J frames everyone knows and loves. Internally it is very similar except for some springs. As a sidenote the only real reason they built the J frame was the extra length of the 38 Special cartridge. The I could only run the 22LR, 32 S&W Short and Long, and 38 S&W cartridges.

More than you wanted to know? :) As Shadowrider said, give us a serial number on it and we can help narrow it down pretty close as to when it was made. You can even make the last digit an X if you'd like.

JBarlow

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i got another one i might need some help with

ai842.photobucket.com_albums_zz342_jbpoke_128_6.jpg

The barrel says 22 mag

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not at home right now but I think that is a model 53? Or a pre-53 if it is not stamped in inside the frame. Should be a 22 Jet and 22 Mag. Totally cool.

I could be wrong though. Leighton? Paging ldp4570...

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thats a .22Jet, wow where is he coming up with all these, someone send me the site please.
Model 53 it came out in 1961, and died in 1971. It is a reloaders nightmare.

By the way, the first showed is a 3rd model handejector, you can tell by the extractor rod.

OK, between reading, and burning brain cells, I don't know if I can answer anyother questions.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Mr. Barlow, Thank you for sending me the site, and I provided you with some info as well, please feel free to ask any questions here or PM, and I'll try and help.

Leighton

Latest posts

Top Bottom