NEED HELP!!! Removing a threaded flash hider

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a YHM threaded flash hider on my AR but I don't have a can so I want to remove it to install a comp. A fellow OSA'er has loaned me an action block & an AR wrench so I've got it held solidly in a vice and "should" have the tool to remove it but the flash hider sits so close to the barrel there isn't room to get a wrench onto its flat shoulders. Now I can't figure out how to get a hold of the blasted thing without tearing it up, I tried taping up a pair of channel locks so it wouldn't bur up the threads, but I can't get the torque I need with those to get it busted loose. I'm scared to clamp down with channel locks because it seems like that would likely damage the threads and it's an $80 flash hider so I'd prefer not to mangle it so I can use it again someday. Here's a pic of what I'm working with.... Any ideas?

[Broken External Image]

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know about thread locker or the direction it's threaded I guess - I just assumed it was lefty-loosey, righty-tighty like everything else.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't got a clue what threads this one would have, but AK's are typically left-handed. I wouldn't put serious pressure on it until you know. I'm sure someone on here will know.

PS, do you already have the comp? If so, what kind of threads does it have. Should be a clue.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Should be 1/2 x 28 right hand thread (lefty loosy, righty tighty) since you said it was on an AR.
Wrap an old rag around it and use the channel locks or vise grips. With the rag on there you shouldn't mar it up at all but if you're still leary you could put tape on the flash suppressor as well.
Or you could buy a cheap wrench and grind it down untill it's thin enough to fit in the gap. If you need more torque, put a pipe on the end to make the handle longer.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Should be 1/2 x 28 right hand thread (lefty loosy, righty tighty) since you said it was on an AR. Id do a 99.9 percent on this being correct
Wrap an old rag around it and use the channel locks or vise grips. With the rag on there you shouldn't mar it up at all but if you're still leary you could put tape on the flash suppressor as well.
Or you could buy a cheap wrench and grind it down untill it's thin enough to fit in the gap. If you need more torque, put a pipe on the end to make the handle longer.This is what I would do

Also, There is a chance it might be rocksetted in place. Rockset is water soluble so you might soak it for 10 min if you are still having trouble with a wrench

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, There is a chance it might be rocksetted in place. Rockset is water soluble so you might soak it for 10 min if you are still having trouble with a wrench

This. If it was a suppressor mount it more than like has Rockset on it. Rockset is a high temp thread locker normally used on suppressor mounts, but like tyromeo55 already said, it is water soluable. I had a tough mount like this once. I left it sitting muzzle down in a cup of water overnight and the next day it came off without too much effort. Worth a try at least.

Latest posts

Top Bottom